W168 A160 Engine Noise - Timing Chain / Tensioner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greenspoon

Car
A160 2001 W168
Hi everyone,
For a little while now our semiauto / funshift A160 has been making a little whirring sound. Sort of like a very slow helicopter, but the sound speeds up with the revs. It happens when in neutral or in gear. It is a whirring sound that is steady at idle and increases with acceleration, even when not in gear / stationary.

Here's a video
What's that engine noise? Mercedes W168 A160 Whirring Engine Sound - YouTube

We just spent $1600 having the drive belt tensioner and belt changed because they thought that was causing the noise, then eventually power steering pump replaced (because the steering stopped working, not because of the noise).

But the noise is still there. Help! THey said they'd have to dismantle the engine just to diagnose it, which is hugely expensive. I'm worried it's the timing chain and it's going to just snap one day and leave me with a worthless car.

Any ideas of things I can do to just test it out / isolate the possible cause would be really great.

Thanks! Yes loftys page is amazing. I've looked at it plenty of times although it hasn't helped any of my problems!

I expect it will be an alternator bearing or AC compressor bearing (if you have AC)

Phew that would be a relief. Would AC compressor noise speed up with revs, or change with AC on/off. At the moment the noise is even with AC off though have yet to test for changes with it on.

COULD BE THE ANSWER! Timing Chain Tensioner

I found this thread.

Engine Noise - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

The video on page 1 has the exact same sound as my car is doing!

Sounds like his chain snapped and stuffed the engine.
But the later user, trakker, described having the same sound and fixing it with a timing chain tensioner replacement.

I'm going to look into this tomorrow. But I'm pretty excited that I may have a cost effective solution to the problem. Fingers crossed the chain doesn't snap before I get a chance to fix it!

Sooo... it was the timing chain and tensioner. I had both replaced for $1000.
Most garages will tell you you have to remove the engine to replace the chain, but my guy was able to lower it in from the top and crank the new chain around then join it up and did it all for a fraction of the cost. All works great now. Finally!

Sooo... it was the timing chain and tensioner. I had both replaced for $1000.
Most garages will tell you you have to remove the engine to replace the chain, but my guy was able to lower it in from the top and crank the new chain around then join it up and did it all for a fraction of the cost. All works great now. Finally!

The a class chains are a doddle. No need to lower the engine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom