W168 A170 Electric Power Windows opening by themselves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dnamlot

Car
ML320 W164
I have a W168 A170 with Electric Windows that have started opening by themselves.

Three of the four are now doing this every time I start the car with the exception of the drivers window. There are no OBD codes showing on the car. I have a two minute battle with the windows to get them back up and then the car gives up and they remain up for the rest of the journey. As soon as I turn the car off and on the battle starts again. I have completed the window reset procedure on each window but this has made no difference. I did have a low battery and replaced this, again re-setting the windows after the battery change but it made no difference. Finally if I select the child lock feature it drops the front passenger window.

Whilst its cold I have resorted to removing the two 30 amp fuses, does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for your help in advance. David

Window switch module is suspect on these at this age.

Our old a class Windows began to develop a mind of their own and a new module sorted ours out. They aren't expensive , but if you buy secondhand via eBay for example , it might be ok now but the problem returns next week.

Hope this helps.

Howard, Thanks for the advice, is it a complete module behind the trim or are you suggesting replacing with new individual switches? Separately do you have any top tips or advice on how to remove the trim, it seems near impossible with the hand brake position. Thanks again, David

The four switches are part of a unit.

I have to be honest , we had an auto electrician fit it while I was at work :eek: so I couldn't tell you how to access it. I wouldn't have thought it was too hard though , the interior of our a class was pretty flimsy.

Something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/191652725997

Last edited:
Thanks I will update the post once I have managed to fit one.

Howard many thanks, I purchased a used module. £10 from eBay. A search for how to remove the console revealed a Mercedes manual extract. 10mins work and I have four fully functioning Windows. Thank you so much!

No problem , glad it's sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom