w168 heater blower resistor replacment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

radders

Car
BMW E46 Coupe, Mercedes A-Class
Hi again, not posted for a while, but always looking....

My 2003 w168 has decided not to let the blowers work on anything but max, looking around I have come to the conclusion that it is the resistor. Nice and easy replacment, but phoned mercedes and they want nearly 50 quid, ebay around 30, but seen on there some for about 7-8 quid for say a vw or vauxhall, they look exactly the same with same plug shape, but wanted to know if anyone knows if I could use one of these or are they definitely car specific (also seen genuine w168 ones for about 25 quid on ebay, again look exactly the same)

Due to the age of the car and the fact I will probably be getting rid of it by the end of the year, probably to a scrappy, don't want to spend more than I need to on simple repairs,.

This is the eBay cheap vw one, mine looks identical. :dk:
Heater Blower Fan Resistor For 2005-2012 VW Eos/2003-2012 VW Golf | eBay
:dk:
Thanks for any possible advise.

Hi Radders
Did you solve this issue with the blower resistor?
I have the same issue and was wondering how you got on with this fix and where you ended up buying from.
I understand it's a question of pulling the carpet to one side in order to find the the clip.
Thanks

Keith

Keith,
Yes very simple, peal back carpet drivers side and you will find it in the centre console. I originally replaced mine with euro car parts part.
But it has just gone again, as i still had the original I found out that it was just the thermal fuse on top of the resistor, so I picked up a couple of 240 degree resistors from maplin and changed over, just using connector blocks as it says you shouldn't solder on.
Thermal fuse 99p each and 5 mins to replace. Works a treat again.

Sorry 240 degree thermal fuse not resistors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom