W169 Steering Wheel Airbag & Miltifunction Controls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GLK

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
I have a couple of question, I can't find an answer to:

1. Is the the airbag key for W169 a T30? Part A1265890010

I'm too tight to pay over £15 to MB to get a torx screw bit :crazy:
Also, it looks about 80mm in length? Will 100mm one be OK, or is it too long - I have no aft/fore adjustment, so might end up not having enough space; on the other hand, 75mm bits look too short ...

2. Does the airbag need to be unplugged, to remove the button controls assembly?

Also, do I have to disconnect the negative terminal on the main battery, to remove and replace the steering wheel buttons assembly (assuming the airbag can stay plugged in)?

Any help greatly appreciated :thumb:

Halfords are doing a full set for £7.50 at the moment.
Halfords Advanced Non Tamper 9 pc S...
Make sure you extend the steering wheel fully away from the dash before you start.
100mm will be ok and no, the airbag doesn't need to be unplugged to change the buttons.

Might be safer to disconnect the battery as you will be working with a small bomb in your lap.

I have a couple of question, I can't find an answer to:

1. Is the the airbag key for W169 a T30? Part A1265890010

I'm too tight to pay over £15 to MB to get a torx screw bit :crazy:
Also, it looks about 80mm in length? Will 100mm one be OK, or is it too long - I have no aft/fore adjustment, so might end up not having enough space; on the other hand, 75mm bits look too short ...

2. Does the airbag need to be unplugged, to remove the button controls assembly?

Also, do I have to disconnect the negative terminal on the main battery, to remove and replace the steering wheel buttons assembly (assuming the airbag can stay plugged in)?

Any help greatly appreciated :thumb:

I think it might be torx 25 or 30. You do need a long bit though as its buried deep in the back of the wheel. It isnt tightened up much either.

Yes you should remove the airbag to change the buttons. It prevents the risk of it going off and also damaging the wiring. Disconnect the cars battery before starting and take a close up photo of the wheel aligment if you are taking the wheel off.

Make sure you extend the steering wheel fully away from the dash before you start.

I wish! Someone (an accountant, no doubt) in their infinite wisdom decided to limit steering wheel adjustment on this model to up/down only - no aft/fore! They changed it two years later to a proper one, but ...

Might be safer to disconnect the battery as you will be working with a small bomb in your lap.

Yes you should remove the airbag to change the buttons. It prevents the risk of it going off and also damaging the wiring. Disconnect the cars battery before starting and take a close up photo of the wheel aligment if you are taking the wheel off.

Yes, I was thinking along those lines too - thanks chaps!

I've seen this done (literally holding the wheel during the procedure) by Jack at Royal Steering Wheels, so should be alright - I'm only changing the buttons surrounds and the actual buttons, but the whole assembly has to come out.

I won't be taking the wheel out, just this plastic arm with the controls on each side:

33422933746_7fa3b4b2b8_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom