W169 - Torsion bar touching wheel arch lining

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GLK

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Noticed recently a very fine screeching noise, when turning steering wheel quickly (as in a multi-storey car park), had a look today and saw this (apologies for rubbish pic quality - awkward place, and mobile phone cam):

IMG_3866%20rubb%20small_zpsntoxbesk.jpg

A200 Avantgarde, C169, sports suspension, 18" AMG wheels, 225/40-18 tyres

Here it is, in W169 (No.10):

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-03%20at%2020.36.03_zpsye1g7lk8.png

So, the torsion bar is catching the wheel arch lining it seems. What shall I do?

Unlikely that that would cause a screeching noise.
I'd suspect either the PAS belt (if pure hydraulic set up) is slipping or merely the tyres on a polished surface (and amplified by surroundings).

Well, it turns out that faint screeching noise had nothing to do with the torsion bar, which wasn't in fact, catching the lining - the marks were left there, most likely, during recent tyre fitting, and didn't appear again.

That same tyre fitter, caught, perhaps when removing the wheel, the OSF backing plate's bottom part, and bent it slightly outwards.

All it took, is to push it back into a straight position, and the noise was gone.

A huge thank you to Nick at Parkham Garage!
And even bigger one for letting me be a nuisance for an entire day, and use his forecourt to paint my calipers and discs, and for helping me with wheels and trolley jacks, etc, etc.

IMG_3910s_zpsn8xo9g3d.jpg

Cheers mate, I owe you one!

cheers_zps0agpkaax.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom