W201 - All electric windows stopped working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quenching

Car
'84 W201 2.0E, '91 W124 230TE estate
My 1984 190e has an annoying problem, all of my windows stopped working yesterday. Fuses seem fine so a bit of research suggests I should change the "silver" relay that controls power to the windows. So, I got a new relay, got a spurious parts one for a local parts supplier as MB dealership said it would be almost a week before an MB one would be in stock. Swapped the relays and still nothing. I suppose I could have been unlucky and gotten a faulty new one but its unlikely. I'll order the original MB in the hope that works but in the meantime is there anything else I can try?

All advice very gratefully received :eek:

Throw the old fuses away & stick in new ones. It'll cost pennies &, if nothing else, eliminate one possible cause.

Sometimes the wiring breaks where it goes into the doors from the doors being opened & closed a million times over the years, though TBH I think it would be quite a coincidence for this to happen to all at the same time. Also check that your window switches are still properly plugged in on the underside of the gearshift surround wood.

Throw the old fuses away & stick in new ones. It'll cost pennies &, if nothing else, eliminate one possible cause.

Sometimes the wiring breaks where it goes into the doors from the doors being opened & closed a million times over the years, though TBH I think it would be quite a coincidence for this to happen to all at the same time. Also check that your window switches are still properly plugged in on the underside of the gearshift surround wood.

Thanks for the suggestions, switches are all connected properly but the none of the sockets have any power - I've checked with a multimeter. I've installed a new original relay from local MB dealer and still nothing. Full set of new fuses on the way but the multimeter shows the current ones as fine, but I'll replace all of them anyway.

I've found reference elsewhere to a "diode" somewhere under the fuse box but not sure where or what it really refers to!

w201

As neilrr says throw the old fuses away if you have something like a dremmel with a small attachment give the contact points in the fuse box a quick tickle to clean them up and put new fuses in. I see it all the time with w123, w201 models the old fuses will look fine but they fur up on the ends as I call it.

As neilrr says throw the old fuses away if you have something like a dremmel with a small attachment give the contact points in the fuse box a quick tickle to clean them up and put new fuses in. I see it all the time with w123, w201 models the old fuses will look fine but they fur up on the ends as I call it.

Thanks. I've also discovered that the "diode" under the fuse box is MB part number A2015401181, it is a plastic connector containing the said diode. However, this part is no longer available from Mercedes - they recommend repair or "source elsewhere" (scrap car). It contains a diode "1N3001", again no longer available but replaceable with 1N4001. So it seems if this part proves faulty I'll be taking it apart and getting the soldering iron out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom