w201 brake upgrade from W124 E500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Basharra

Car
190e 2.6 project
hi
I found w124 E500 parts car, can I use the front and back brake units to upgrade my W201 2.6 project car brake system. if yes then any adjustment needed or is it simple swap I hope.

I doubt the brake calipers will fit the alloys on a 190, the four pot brakes on a 320 need wider wheels so almost certainly you'll need the alloys from an E500 to fit over the brakes. As that has much wider wheel arches than a standard W124 you'll need to check fitment - I suspect you'll need to roll the arches.

I'd have thought that you might have clearance issues with the outer ends of LCAs if yours are the earlier style with replacable ball joints? The later one piece LCAs with welded in ball joints allowed them to be slimmed down a bit to provide more brake clearance. Can see in this pic nicked from that link shows how close things are with the standard set up

400e-brakes%20024.jpg

Unless i missed it there isn't a pic or any comments about clearance with the bigger brakes and AIUI the 400e/e400 used the same front discs & calipers as my 320 (295 x 22 or 294 x 25 depending on year) on which there's very little room between the one piece LCA and the disc...

The 500e got bigger brakes and according to

balljoints_both1.jpg

the early 300 x 28 500e brakes would clear but not the later 320 x 30 discs

try 190.co.uk or 190rev write ups on there about brake upgrades.

thanks a lot guys for the help. I found a 16v car which I am taking the brakes from rather than using the e500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom