W202: Buying & Fitting secondhand panels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe_SP

Car
2013 E250 & 1999 M3
Hi all

My front OS (Drivers) wing is starting to corrode in several places (wheelarch, side repeater, front edge) and my bonnet is also looking tatty with a slight dent where some b*stard tried to nick my star.

I am considering trying to find some good secondhand panels in the right colour - Brilliant Silver 744. Does anyone know;

- How difficult is the wing going to be to fit without damaging the paint?

- How much should I pay for good secondhand panels?

- What is the chance of the colour match being acceptable if I source panels from a car with the same colour code?

Thanks all.

Joe

Pity you dont live up the road, I would have given you a hand! (for beers of course ;) )

When I was getting my bumpers sprayed, the coachworks had 8 versions of 744. That said, none are that different, worse case you would be able to notice it close up - but its not like you have a completely different colour eh?

Removing a wing envolves removing the front bumper, sideskirt, wheel arch lining and a full afternoon.

In order to prevent damaging the rest of the car, get someone to help you and make sure that you protect the adjecent areas (eg, cover with newspaper).

Hope this helps ;)

Last edited:
Hi all

My front OS (Drivers) wing is starting to corrode in several places (wheelarch, side repeater, front edge) and my bonnet is also looking tatty with a slight dent where some b*stard tried to nick my star.

I am considering trying to find some good secondhand panels in the right colour - Brilliant Silver 744. Does anyone know;

- How difficult is the wing going to be to fit without damaging the paint?

- How much should I pay for good secondhand panels?

- What is the chance of the colour match being acceptable if I source panels from a car with the same colour code?

Thanks all.

Joe

Both wing and bonnet are easy to fit.

The colour match will be a huge issue.

It might be a better solution to have your current panels repaired and resprayed.

The colour match will be a huge issue.

I was hoping that all cars with my paint code would be an ok colour match...

With car values being where they are I don't think it is worth spending the money at a body shop.... Better put it in the savings pot for the next car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom