W202 C230 Supercharger not engaging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

calgonis

Car
C230 Sold / 69' VW Devon Delux camper / BMW M135i
Last couple of days my supercharger wont engage. It was working perfectly before, and then I got in the car the next day and nothing.

I have driven it several times since and the supercharger has not engaged once.

Will be getting the car checked out by a garage this week to read codes but thought I would ask on the forum.

There is no whine from the supercharger, which I am used to hearing. Power loss seems to be about half power. Belts all look ok. Pipes all look ok. I have taken the MAF off and cleaned it, no difference.

No check engine light.

I have read:

The supercharger control relay might have failed.
The supercharger magnet might have failed.
The cam position sensor might have failed.
ECU

Anything else I should consider as a possible cause?

Thought I would give an update on this in case anyone else has a similar problem or symptoms.

Cam position sensor was causing the supercharger problem.
Also worth mentioning my car had rubbish MPG getting 180-220 miles from a tank. It also suffered with an uneven shakey idle ever since I got it.

During the problem with the cam sensor, my car managed 320 miles on that tank of fuel. :crazy: I will take a wild guess and say it must go into some sort of limp mode where fueling decisions are made differently.

The sensor got replaced today:

Idle rock solid
Throttle much more responsive.
Just generally running brilliantly, like a different car.

Hopefully the MPG improvement will stay.

Thanks for sharing as I didn't realise a faulty Cam sensor would keep the S/c disconnected.

Nice catch calgonis, good to know. So the compressor still whines?

Yep, it whines again. Pretty sure its quite normal. A faint high pitched hum when accelerating. All my supercharged cars have done this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom