W202 C250TD Turbo Uprade Options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaddyEnglish86

Car
Mercedes W202 C250TD
Just bought myself a W202 C250TD and have just registered to mbclub.

I have heard of installing a Scania turbo but is this wise? Would there be a lot of turbo lag before the power comes in? Would I be better off with a smaller turbo but bigger than stock? I do want to use the car as a daily driver. I've heard these engines are good for 400bhp with stock internals.

Thanks

Anybody? Is this the right website/forum for this kind of thing?

Your best bet is to register on the superturbodiesel forum, more info on that site. You can get alot of power from your om605, but it depends on what you want to use the car for.

Budget 3000 for diesel pump and turbo upgrades, then around 500 for pipework and intercooler. You'll see 400hp no problem.

To give you some idea, I've got an om606 with just over 500hp at the wheels. There is turbo lag, it has a heavy clutch pedal, and has cost me around 6k so far.

Thanks for that. I'll go and check that website.

I want the car to be a daily driver that I can also have some fun with. And obviously be reliable. I forgot to mention I have an auto. Not sure if

Did you fit a bigger turbo to yours? And do you have a boost controller?

Thanks

Did you fit a bigger turbo to yours? And do you have a boost controller?

Yes mine run's a much larger turbo than stock. I've got a manual boost controller fitted at the moment, but will be changing to an electric version soon.

20150417_185339_zpsltcylabk.jpg

Lovely. As you can tell, I am very new to this so please excuse my silly questions.

Did you have to modify your exhaust manifold to get that turbo on or did it bolt straight on?

Did you have to modify your exhaust manifold to get that turbo on or did it bolt straight on?

The original manifold is untouched, but where the turbo should bolt on is a custom "y" adapter. One side of this goes up to the new turbo mounting flange, the other goes down to a monster external waste gate.

There are no large turbo's that bolt on the original manifold due to mercedes using a silly 3 bolt mounting flange. KKD motorsport or dieslpumpuk will sell you an aftermarket manifold to take a larger turbo if you don't fancy making an adapter.

Great. Thanks for that.

Will I need to upgrade the intercooler to a larger one one I upgrade the turbo? Also, I will be deleting the back box as I have heard this is quite restrictive and also will sound better. I have also heard of de-catting and taking out the DPF without any rise in emmissions. In your experience, is this true?

Thanks again for your help

Theres no dpf. Do you mean egr? Thats just an unplug job on the om605 (more complex on the std 606)

the intercooler is tiny on the stock car. And a tortuous route with restrictive pipework imho

Great. Thanks for that.

Will I need to upgrade the intercooler to a larger one one I upgrade the turbo? Also, I will be deleting the back box as I have heard this is quite restrictive and also will sound better. I have also heard of de-catting and taking out the DPF without any rise in emmissions. In your experience, is this true?

Thanks again for your help

You'll need a much larger intercooler, and all of your intake pipework will need to be changed.

SAM_0746_zps5hb6morp.jpg

The entire exhaust is replaced with a custom 3" system, no cat's or dpf's are used. Emissions test's are a no-go area, you'll need a friendly mot tester.;)

IMG-20150422-WA0009_zps7vgnflwl.jpg

Theres no dpf. Do you mean egr? Thats just an unplug job on the om605 (more complex on the std 606)

the intercooler is tiny on the stock car. And a tortuous route with restrictive pipework imho

DPF must be on on newer cars.

Thanks for the info

You'll need a much larger intercooler, and all of your intake pipework will need to be changed.

SAM_0746_zps5hb6morp.jpg

The entire exhaust is replaced with a custom 3" system, no cat's or dpf's are used. Emissions test's are a no-go area, you'll need a friendly mot tester.;)

IMG-20150422-WA0009_zps7vgnflwl.jpg

Yeah I know a couple of really friendly MOT Testers.

I have also heard I will need a mechanical fuel pump. Is this true. If so, can I get one from that website you recommended?

I have also heard I will need a mechanical fuel pump. Is this true. If so, can I get one from that website you recommended?

You will need a mechanical fuel pump, luke at dieselpumpuk can help you with that. He can also build your car for you if you wish.

You will need a mechanical fuel pump, luke at dieselpumpuk can help you with that. He can also build your car for you if you wish.

That might cost a fair bit. I'm hoping to do as much work as I possibly can.

So I think that's it. Is there anything else I haven't mentioned that you can think of?

I had my W124 250D converted by Luke at dieselpumpuk back in February. Swapped the engine out to an OM605. He carried out a turbo actuator mod, custom intercooler and pipework, upgraded 7.5mm injector pump +alda (by dieselmeken in Sweden). It now puts out about a modest 180hp with 270 lb/ft, (similar to the E270 CDi). I have retained the automatic gearbox and that is why the modest, but very driveable performance figures. It can be tuned to 400hp + but would need to be converted to a manual gearbox with upgraded clutch etc. I did need to adjust the fuel pump to pass the MoT smoke test but if you know a tester who isn't going to rev the needle off the dial then that will make your life easier.

So the standard auto box can't take that much power then?

Could someone recommend a decent turbo? I know I will need to have an adapter made as there are no other larger turbos that fit to the three bolt flange?

I would like something larger than the standard one but nothing so big that takes ages to spool up.

So the standard auto box can't take that much power then?

Could someone recommend a decent turbo? I know I will need to have an adapter made as there are no other larger turbos that fit to the three bolt flange?

I would like something larger than the standard one but nothing so big that takes ages to spool up.

You need to decide how you want the car to perform, then you can spec the parts needed.

If it's a daily driver you should look at VNT turbos and then how to control it using vacuum. A turbo much larger than standard will result in turbo lag, mixed with a lazy auto will make a terrible daily driver.

A kkk e300 turbo would be a slight upgrade, as carat3.6 has said it all depends on what you want to achieve. The 722.6 is a strong gearbox and will cope with a sensible power upgrade as long as it's not given death everyday from cold etc.

I use it everyday to commute.

I don't know how realistic this is but my goal is to get the 0-60 down to under 7 seconds, ideally under 6. I don't know what bhp or torque is needed for this.

A C43 with 306bhp will get you to 60 in just over 6 seconds, buying a c43 would be the cheapest option.

Are you bringing it to a drag strip at the weekends or something? Have you looked on superturbodiesel?

It's all possible but I don't think you'd be driving it everyday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom