w202 estate, where is the radio aerial earth??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cartwrm

Over the past year or so, ALL radio reception has disappeared for several days or weeks, then suddenly re-appeared, only to disappear again, and so on; at present it is off after a relatively long period of working OK. There isn't any logic I can apply to the on/off times, although wet weather might be a suspect, but, of course, that may be a red herring. The change can happen whilst the car is left overnight, or while driving (in this case it goes off).
The car has its originally fitted Sony XR-C6100R (or 5100R) radio cassette player, so I've bridged the gaps by digging out my old music tapes which play and sound normal, so its not a power or speaker issue.
It's been suggested that the aerial earth might be intermittently disconnecting, can anyone advise where this might be located please, to avoid ripping more of the car apart than necessary ???
(The aerial on this model is made up of wires embedded in the rear nearside window - well, I have always believed that's what these wires are)

I would do the easy test before you start ripping the car apart i.e. try another radio and make sure that the aerial connection into the back of it is not the suspect part. Sorry I cannot advise of the location of the earth but you can check it's integrity when you have the radio out with a good meter.

IRRC there's an aerial amplifier behind the nearside?? rear C pillar trim. The earth point may be in there also. The aerial may be in the rear window as you say or possibly in the rear bumper.

Hi,
I think Grober is correct as I,m sure when I recently replaced my Ariel amplifier there was a brown cable that utilised the amplifier fixing bolt to get its earth to the chassis, though please bare in mind that mine is a Saloon rather than the estate though I would,nt think it would be much different.
You could just connect a multi meter to the ariel connector behind the stereo and see if the outer shell of the connector has continuity to earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom