w202 instrument cluster illumination not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eigine123

Car
My -96 w202 instrument cluster illumination is not working. All bulbs and fuses are okay. When turning headlights on the gauge illumination bulbs only flashes weakly. The heater controller lights works ok. Burned out light bulb warning light didn't come on when my headlight burned out. What could be the problem?

Last edited:
Does the dimming switch work on the illumination of the window switches, or do the also fail to illuminate?

Dec

Does the dimming switch work on the illumination of the window switches, or do the also fail to illuminate?

Dec
Dimming switch works on the window switches and also in temp, clock and odometers.

The lighting control module, number 3 in the picture A below, removal as in 2nd picture below.
I don’t know what part it plays in cluster illumination but maybe worth checking out next.
Perhaps this might have something to do with the problem, the video below examines a similar unit from an earlier car.

See also… MERCEDES C CLASS W202 w202 LIGHT CONTROL UNIT in Cars, Motorcycles & Vehicles | eBay

Dec
N101.jpg

Below picture is of a right hand drive car.

391397d1313284224-lamp-module-location-help-please-w202-fuse-box-help.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTcDHqjo8_w

[YOUTUBE]fTcDHqjo8_w[/YOUTUBE]

Good day
My W202 1998 instrument cluster illumination is not working including:
the illumination on the window switches; Gears; and central dash are also not working.

They all went out at the same time.

All bulbs and fuses are okay.

Could the fault be on the Dimmer switch (which has adjustments 3-2-1) or the Main headlight switch?
I doubt its the lighting control relay/module as everything else is working fine

DEC or anyone else your assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

20191210_161748-min.jpg
Here is a photo of the Reverse side of my dimmer switch (located next to the Main headlight switch) W202 1998 C180 AUTO

Could the fault be with the Purple and pink tube/wire that connects to the Dimmer switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom