W202 Replacing brake light bulb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mun35

Car
C200
Hi

Does anyone know of a video/guide for replacing the left/right brake light bulb on a W202? I can't seem to find any.

Any help appreciated.

Just to clarify: I just can't pull the bulb out. I've tried pulling and wiggling with my hands, but it won't budge.

Last edited:
Update: My manual says "Push down on bulb to be changed, twist counterclockwise and remove." but I can't push the stop light bulb in. I can push other bulbs in though.

Hi,
Problems with the 202 was that the bulbs use to get so hot that they would weld themselves into the plastic bulb holder, but I can confirm you are trying to remove them correctly, just makes sure it is the brake light bulb you are removing as I do not think its the twin filament bulb one which everyone thinks immediately is for the brake light.

Hi,
Problems with the 202 was that the bulbs use to get so hot that they would weld themselves into the plastic bulb holder, but I can confirm you are trying to remove them correctly, just makes sure it is the brake light bulb you are removing as I do not think its the twin filament bulb one which everyone thinks immediately is for the brake light.

I'm pretty certain I've got the correct one (it's the one at the top of the board). So what should I do if it's welded in? :crazy:

1,2,3,4,5 in picture etc are plastic welds, the are what keeps the thing together, I think you would have to cut some of them to open the unit to get at the bulb. Others may know more.

Dec

6f9gt4.jpg

1,2,3,4,5 in picture etc are plastic welds, the are what keeps the thing together, I think you would have to cut some of them to open the unit to get at the bulb. Others may know more.

Dec

6f9gt4.jpg

Thanks. Hopefully there might be another way that won't damage the plastic...

With the unit disconnected, maybe you could heat the bulb till it’s hot, this might “resoften” the plastic and allow it to be twisted out.

Dec

Hi,
I just manipulated the bulb at its lowest point in the bulb holder and I always managed to free it off, I would be willing to bet that your bulb(s) are not even blown just a poor contact on the sprung clip at the bottom of the holder, I was always getting bulb failure warnings on my 202s and rarely was it an actual blown bulb but a fault in the bulb holder.
For info a new bulb holder assembly (see pic Dec posted above was or is stupidly cheap from the main dealer when I enquired less than £5! It was also a known issue on the 210, I believe it was subject to a recall but the 202 there wasn't one raised.

Last edited:
Wrap bulb in rag so not to cut yourself if the glass breaks and try a bit harder. Push in while rocking from side to side once it starts to move twist anti-clockwise while still wiggling. Once bulb is removed give all the surfaces a clean with some Emory or similar and spray with some wd or similar before fitting new bulb or original if not faulty.

Hope that helps..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom