W202 upper front track arm problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike18hc

Almost due for the MOT again and another problem shows up!
Has anyone replaced an upper front left control arm on a w202 c class?
There's a US guide online which makes it look simple, as does the Haynes manual, but both show an accessible pivot bolt nut.
The bolt head is accessible but the other end just turns with the bolt. it's got a plastic tube or cap completely covering the end where there must be a nut! The end of the plastic cover has 3 notches around it but I can't see why. Does anyone know?
Above this plastic cover is the ECU, its mounting bracket and relay. Then under that is a mass of cabling untouched in 20 years. Unfortunately a largish loom blocks the end of this plastic thing and would need to be levered up out of the way if the cover's designed to be levered off.
Another thing is that the replacement arm from Febi has a 15mm bolt head not 17mm like now. Does this mean the bolt diameter is different too so it won't fit? I'd guess it'd be the same diameter but...has anyone used a Febi upper front control arm?
I have to get this fixed in a couple of weeks to replace the slightly worn ball joint so any help anyone can offer would be appreciated!

The plastic cover was a push-on and I pressed it off. Everything was cushty from then on and nothing near the arm needed removing.
The replacement arm fitted easily and only the bolt head and nut sizes were different from the original.
I worried too much about this 20 minute job!

How did you know it needed doing ? inspection or symptoms ?
Glad it was so simple rarely as easy as that rusted tight nuts etc

It was an MOT advisory from the previous year but I misplaced the paperwork and only checked it online recently as the MOT is due shortly.
However, last month, when reversing to the right on gravel there was an occasional feeling of slight slippage between the front wheels and the steering wheel. It happened at the same point in the turn each time and it was coupled with a very slight, dull thump from the nsf wheel area.
I checked it out and couldn't find anything worn, but the old MOT led me to change the upper control arm.
The old swivel ball joint was easy to wobble for half its circumference and stiff for the other half.
After its replacement the slipping sensation and noise went and steering was a little more positive.

It was an MOT advisory from the previous year but I misplaced the paperwork and only checked it online recently as the MOT is due shortly.
However, last month, when reversing to the right on gravel there was an occasional feeling of slight slippage between the front wheels and the steering wheel. It happened at the same point in the turn each time and it was coupled with a very slight, dull thump from the nsf wheel area.
I checked it out and couldn't find anything worn, but the old MOT led me to change the upper control arm.
The old swivel ball joint was easy to wobble for half its circumference and stiff for the other half.
After its replacement the slipping sensation and noise went and steering was a little more positive.

Hello mate can I ask what you removed to access the drivers side nut for this? I can't even see the nut on mine and it's about half way down the brake servo.

The passenger nut is 15mm so I assume they've been replaced before but I can't even get a 15mm ring on the driver side nut, I've actually bought a swivel end 15mm Halfords pro ring spanner for this job which should work but as you seem to have done it without issue I thought I'd ask.

Quote a few US tutorials show easy access like you say but not the case on UK spec... Perhaps a design oversight when converting from the LHD German market.

Beers, Harry

Consider replacing the O/S too. Odds on if it hasn't been replaced previously it's on it's way out.

Hi HarioH.
Sorry! I changed the upper front left control arm and I was glad it was that side as I had the same difficulty to work out what to do to remove the other side!
Good luck!
JJJ. I guess that it would be a good idea to actually do that one, so, if I give in, I'll write that up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom