w202/w201 kompressor transplant???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C230kompressor

Car
1997 C230 Kompressor SPORT(SOLD) ---1993 C180 ESPRIT(SOLD)---1989 190E Cosworth REP(SOLD)
any advise would be lovely

iv seen a mint 190e today but needs a new head old one has corroded!
i was thinking about transplanting my w202 kompressor engine into it?
as my kompressor needs a lot of body work!
has any one done this convertion?

just a thaught!

As long as there's room. The 190 engine compartment is quite narrow compared to the w202. Lots of one-off plumbing required I would imagine. The transplant of choice seems to be the 32O M104 engine.

going by this pic! LINK the cosworth lump??
nearly every thing is in the same place!

Hi,
Not sure what year your Kompressor is, but I personnally would avoid the later engine with the EIS switch, and the permanetly running Kompressor.
Has your got the single button fob with the plip out key blade or the electronic 3 buttoned type?
The biggest problem you will have I imagine will be the electrics, and fitting of the intercooler, ducting and radiator, but you will be starting right with a running donor vehicle.
Has the 190 got an electric fuel pump? you may have to uprate it or it might not have one at all (were mechanical pumps fitted to the 190? not sure but does need mentioning). Some years ago I fitted a Rover SDI EFI V8 lump in an old carb equipped range Rover, this was surprisingly easy, only requiring fitting and siting of a high performance fuel pump to replace the standard SU pump, and connecting of 4-5 cables.
I simply followed all the cables that were left at the ECU after the engine was disconnected, then before cutting any cables, I assured my self where they were connected to in the door vehicle and their purpose, and simply connected/spliced them to the relevant cable in the Range Rover

Hi,
Not sure what year your Kompressor is, but I personnally would avoid the later engine with the EIS switch, and the permanetly running Kompressor.
Has your got the single button fob with the plip out key blade or the electronic 3 buttoned type?
The biggest problem you will have I imagine will be the electrics, and fitting of the intercooler, ducting and radiator, but you will be starting right with a running donor vehicle.
Has the 190 got an electric fuel pump? you may have to uprate it or it might not have one at all (were mechanical pumps fitted to the 190? not sure but does need mentioning). Some years ago I fitted a Rover SDI EFI V8 lump in an old carb equipped range Rover, this was surprisingly easy, only requiring fitting and siting of a high performance fuel pump to replace the standard SU pump, and connecting of 4-5 cables.
I simply followed all the cables that were left at the ECU after the engine was disconnected, then before cutting any cables, I assured my self where they were connected to in the door vehicle and their purpose, and simply connected/spliced them to the relevant cable in the Range Rover

thankyou i havent yet looked into the 190! buy i know its bodywork is extreamly good!
my Kompressor is a 1996 tis the early M111 engine! one with the air box on the side no the front

Last edited:

That was a beautiful transplant. :cool: BUT its LHD |!!! and the problem with 190 transplants is almost always the exhaust manifold/turbocharger fouling the steering box/gear-- its why the 2.3/2.5 16V cars had the elaborate exhaust manifold and why( reputedly) there was no RHD turbo diesel version of the 5 cylinder 2.5 diesel. This may not be a problem with a front mounted compressor unit but just worth thinking about????:confused: Its such an obvious transplant you would have thought someone would have done it already---maybe they have.:dk:

That was a beautiful transplant. :cool: BUT its LHD |!!! and the problem with 190 transplants is almost always the exhaust manifold/turbocharger fouling the steering box/gear-- its why the 2.3/2.5 16V cars had the elaborate exhaust manifold and why( reputedly) there was no RHD turbo diesel version of the 5 cylinder 2.5 diesel. This may not be a problem with a front mounted compressor unit but just worth thinking about????:confused: Its such an obvious transplant you would have thought someone would have done it already---maybe they have.:dk:

thats what i was hoping for!
i was under a 190 the other day and the exhaust isnt that much differant!

IIRC the 190 weighs less to

Last edited:
i was thinking 2 sell my 230 k if any 1 want 2 buy ......

I can't see the conversion being worthwhile - too complicated and for very little reward.

You'd be better off buying a 2.5-16 which is more powerful and comes with all the neccesary chassis/braking/steering modifications as standard. Or another W202 C230K, they're very good value these days so even a clean one won't be all that expensive :)

Will

I can't see the conversion being worthwhile - too complicated and for very little reward.

You'd be better off buying a 2.5-16 which is more powerful and comes with all the neccesary chassis/braking/steering modifications as standard. Or another W202 C230K, they're very good value these days so even a clean one won't be all that expensive :)

Will

i was seeing it from a differant point of view!
i have a good engine but rotten car!
and could get hold of a good car with broken engine!

Yes, but it'll cost you loads in terms of man hours, parts, some custom bits etc. Just not worth it - sadly most of these projects are an anti-climax and most never get properly finished.

Would be surely better to sell the existing W202 (either for parts or as a whole) and put the cash + a bit extra to buy a clean example or something :)

A 230K is about 190ish bhp, would be much easier to get a 190E 2.6 and drop in a 3.0 M103 or something. Or buy a 2.3/2.5-16.

I wouldn't base such a large and involved project on just the fact that you happen to have a 230K engine to hand - that's probably the least costly and complicated bit :eek:

Will

Hi

Go for it!!

But if you want to get the best out of this engine, you have to ditch the OEM ecu. get youuself a proper stand alone ECU and you have yourself a hell of a project car.
Yes! the engine may just produce 190-195hp, but you will be getting over 200lb/ft of torque at 2500rpm and that makes a difference.

With time and money, you can increase boost to make the car even faster..engine comes set up with low compression (9.00.1) and thats a good thing if you are looking at a decent increase in boost. you probably need to replace supercharger with something with bigger lungs.

good luck mate

Mazza

for the moment forget horse power and get

i am still tempted!
carlsson do a pully kit for the Kompressor!
that should give a bit more HP

You can also get a header and pulley from uk.
I`d say do it as i`ll be very cool :thumb:

header?
pully sounds good!:thumb:
any idear where from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom