W202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercMania

Am after a flinch for a c class w202 year 2000 anyone know where to get one from or how to repair the one I already have?

The mechanic called it a flinch it's the part on the inside of the wing and the wing sits on it I try and get picture tomorrow

Maybe it's a flitch may be I didn't hear him correctly and it's inner flitch

image-3092534474.jpg

That's the part I require

Attachments

• image-3152115602.jpg
    image-3152115602.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 25
You will get a flitch from mercedes

Iv fitted the very front section where headlamp panel /bumper bracket and wing bolt on a few times , i think there about £60 per side

Rest of flitch/inner wing likely available too

You are correct it is an inner flitch you require, is the rust on both sides?
To replace these panels correctly will require A LOT of disassembly of the car, removal of front shock absorbers, possibly the upper wishbone and ball joint, front bumper headlights, front wings, unbolting and disconnecting the ABS pump, disconnecting the wiring or moving the wiring from the sides of the wings. Then the panels will have to be unpicked from the car and new panel welded in and painted.
Won,t be cheap rough estimate about £500 a side plus paint, possibly more for the passenger side (ABS pump, brake pipes etc.), put that on top of the price of the repair panel approx. I reckon £700 a side.
Might be cheaper to find a 202 in a breakers and cut repair sections from a donor car then you only need to replace (insert) the metal that is rotten on yours and not the complete panel as this should eliminate a lot of the disassembly.
If it hasn't failed the MOT on this corrosion is it worth doing?

I tried the dealers and they said about £40 so u decided to go and order it as gave to pay deposite I forgot to get his name so when u went in the chap at counter said £1600 plus cat I told him what I was quoted and he says don't know why I was quoted that so I left it and no it's not a mot failure I can imagine will be expensive am trying to source parts first then get labour prices I don't mind buying the but where it's rusted from and get it welded

rot

I tried the dealers and they said about £40 so u decided to go and order it as gave to pay deposite I forgot to get his name so when u went in the chap at counter said £1600 plus cat I told him what I was quoted and he says don't know why I was quoted that so I left it and no it's not a mot failure I can imagine will be expensive am trying to source parts first then get labour prices I don't mind buying the but where it's rusted from and get it welded

before going ahead with this possibly expensive repair it may pay to give the rest of the cars vulnerable areas a thorough inspection or you may find your chasing your tail (rust and cash)

rust

Yes do have rust near the jacking point underneath the car

in that case depending on how much you love your car and what model your car is i would seriously consider having someone who knows assess its overall condition before proceeding it could end up a lot cheaper selling it and buying a good one as even good ones are relatively cheap now

Do love my car rest of the body is spotless for a 2000 plate and 130 on the clock and cannot afford another car and if I could afford another one don't know what to buy

You will get a flitch from mercedes

Iv fitted the very front section where headlamp panel /bumper bracket and wing bolt on a few times , i think there about £60 per side

Rest of flitch/inner wing likely available too

Would u know the part number at all

Hi,
Checking the rest of the car for rust before spending money is about the best bit advice given, especially as you say you have rust around the jacking point(s).
Take a look at this link, it will give you some idea of what you might be contending with, with just one jacking point gone.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/mbclub-projects/135085-w202-rust-word-warning.html
Do bare in mind that there was no external sign to any of this rust and nothing to visually give me an indication of the severity of it, apart from a paint blister which could be seen with the rear passenger side door open, on close inspection this paint blister dissappeared under the side skirt.
I,m not telling you this to put you off, just please make sure you are aware of the full extent of what you will/maybe letting yourself in for, if I had known the extent of the rust in my AMG before I had fitted the 55 engine I think I may of sold it on for scrap, as the work shown in the link was not cheap to do, by the time it had been repainted you were looking in excess of £1k in labour alone.

That's a lot of work am not sure if mine is that bad where did u get the parts from

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom