W203 12v from dome light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks I want to take a switched 12v feed from my front dome light to power my Snooper. Has anybody done this before I start to dismantle the car?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Last edited:
In the absence of any other input...

I'm looking at doing the same thing on the ML for a Dashcam/GPS Camera Warner/Radar Detector combo.

I did power a Radar Detector from the Interior light on some old car I had a t the time, the wiring diagram was no use and I didn't have a manual. So, I just got a nice sharp pin and clipped it onto the positive lead of the meter with the negative lead on a good earth (not easy to find any metal in a modern car).

Turn the ignition on and poke the pin through the insulation of the wires till you find 12v. Switch the ignition off, and if it disappears, that wire is the one you're looking for.

Just connect to it with a scotchlock, or solder if you're keen.

Should then be possible to run a nioce, short wire out to the Snooper and keep the installation neat...

In the absence of any other input...

I'm looking at doing the same thing on the ML for a Dashcam/GPS Camera Warner/Radar Detector combo.

I did power a Radar Detector from the Interior light on some old car I had a t the time, the wiring diagram was no use and I didn't have a manual. So, I just got a nice sharp pin and clipped it onto the positive lead of the meter with the negative lead on a good earth (not easy to find any metal in a modern car).

Turn the ignition on and poke the pin through the insulation of the wires till you find 12v. Switch the ignition off, and if it disappears, that wire is the one you're looking for.

Just connect to it with a scotchlock, or solder if you're keen.

Should then be possible to run a nioce, short wire out to the Snooper and keep the installation neat...

Paul

Thank you. I was just curious if anybody could tell me which wires were the best to use. I will gave a poke with a meter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom