w203 c180 bouncing lock - Some Answers please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c180081c

Car
C250 AMG Sport Coupe
Hi Guys,

My passenger door lock is bouncing. I have read all threads on this and some info is very contradictory.

I now have the correct spring for the internal repair and im happy with this part.

Removing the lock however is confusing.

-Am I correct in saying that there is an airbag behind my passenger door card?

-Do I NEED to remove it to access the lock and remove it for repair

-Do I NEED to disconnect the battery (this being a w203 early 2002) will this then damage my rear SAM unit as others have said?

-Is it worth doing the spring repair or getting a new actuator and fitting a whole "new unit"

Sorry if i am being over the top but I want to get this right first time.

-Am I correct in saying that there is an airbag behind my passenger door card? YES

-Do I NEED to remove it to access the lock and remove it for repair NO

-Do I NEED to disconnect the battery (this being a w203 early 2002) will this then damage my rear SAM unit as others have said? No need to disconnect

-Is it worth doing the spring repair or getting a new actuator and fitting a whole "new unit" Replace the spring,as that is the fault

-Am I correct in saying that there is an airbag behind my passenger door card? YES

-Do I NEED to remove it to access the lock and remove it for repair NO

-Do I NEED to disconnect the battery (this being a w203 early 2002) will this then damage my rear SAM unit as others have said? No need to disconnect

-Is it worth doing the spring repair or getting a new actuator and fitting a whole "new unit" Replace the spring,as that is the fault

Awesome thankyou very much!! Sorry if I sound stupid but should I disconnect the airbag when I remove the door card? Just nervous about yanking at the lock around the area of the airbag.

No,the airbag stays in situ, no need to touch it at all you will be safe.:thumb:

No,the airbag stays in situ, no need to touch it at all you will be safe.:thumb:

Awesome thanks, I guess most are over paranoid around airbags. Also means I dont have to buy a new rivet gun

How do you take the lock out without removing the airbag rivets ?

It will come out,but persevere with angles,slightly harder
to get back IIRC.

It will come out,but persevere with angles,slightly harder
to get back IIRC.

Do you think it is necessary to drill the rivets out on the window runner or will the lock mechanism clear it?

Airbag out
Window runner out
Replace lock
Don't cycle the ignition and you won't get a srs warning.

Airbag out
Window runner out
Replace lock
Don't cycle the ignition and you won't get a srs warning.

Do I disconnect the battery if/when removing the airbag. Just trying to avoid frying the rear Sam with it being early w203

Never had need to do this myself and I'm not sure if this is going to help or make matters worse for you, but here are instructions lifted from a well known workshop manual.
As I say, I've never had cause to do this so I don't know if all of the instructions are necessary and relevant.
They advise to make sure the key is removed from the ignition and to also disconnect the battery negative terminal and wait 15 minutes. Others may know better.

I'll list them in Sections 19 / 21 / 22 as the lock removal section refers you to the others. (No section 20 as that refers to the back doors).

Section 19

Section 21

Section 22

Last edited:
Thankyou very much for all the info guys. the job is now done!! Not too bad all in all. I would suggest removing the airbag (you are mainly working at a height where it could go off in your face removing allowed me to put it in a safer area), I removed the fuses for the airbag module before proceeding with this and all went smoothly. Dead easy to drll out all three alu rivets. You 100% need to remove the three rivets from the black window prop so that you can get the lock unit out but also back in and intact. On further inspection I would recommend not bothering with the springs as the internal workings on mine where well worn also. I got a decent low milage lock from Dronsfields mercedes at Royton, I cannot recommen these guys enough.

Job well done, personally based on the cost of the latch units I'd always replace the unit,me class models are more than double though.

Job well done, personally based on the cost of the latch units I'd always replace the unit,me class models are more than double though.

Thanks, I think your right a new unit is the best way to go if its your daily driver. new lock and replace your puddle bulb while your in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom