W203 C180k MAF Errors - Be aware

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
could VRAJA say how he got on - his symptoms are exactly the same as mine !!

Probably not, he posted that in June 2009, and has not been on here since March this year.

Welcome.

Sorry to follow up on this, Ive seen there are threads else where but this seemed closer to the issue I have.

I replaced the MAF after the engine light came on and the code said MAF error. Now I get the error wheres its too rich.

I thought I'd have a look to see if I could find this vacuum pipe people here have been referring to. I have a 2001 W203 C200K

I just cant find it. I removed the entire airfilter assembly and looked for every pipe there could be that looked as though it could be the culprit - nowt there.

1.JPG

2.JPG

I also found this vacuum pipe hanging free, is that right?

free%20pipe%201.JPG

free%20pipe.JPG

Though I did find a loose pipe on the back left hand side at the final air intake area before the inlet manifold. See pics. red arrow.

missing%201.JPG

missing.JPG

Its now connected!! Lets see if the error code comes back! Thankfully I only paid £40 for the MAF from ebay and I still have the old one

Last edited:
I have had lots of problems with eml lights on, (111 engine) throttle body clean has cured them.

tony_1170 said:
Sorry to follow up on this, Ive seen there are threads else where but this seemed closer to the issue I have.

I replaced the MAF after the engine light came on and the code said MAF error. Now I get the error wheres its too rich.

I thought I'd have a look to see if I could find this vacuum pipe people here have been referring to. I have a 2001 W203 C200K

I just cant find it. I removed the entire airfilter assembly and looked for every pipe there could be that looked as though it could be the culprit - nowt there.

I also found this vacuum pipe hanging free, is that right?

Though I did find a loose pipe on the back left hand side at the final air intake area before the inlet manifold. See pics. red arrow.

Its now connected!! Lets see if the error code comes back! Thankfully I only paid £40 for the MAF from ebay and I still have the old one

Tony, your m111 is screwed.The missing part is the ait filter box.Meaning your car breathing dirty air!

Buy one ASAP from a scrapyard

astamir said:
Stay away from w203 c class mercs !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You wrong mate!Stay away from any car serviced by an idiot.W203 and M111 are very reliable.If you treat it right.

tony if you can't find one,message me

Ahh, I should have worded that better - I removed the entire airfilter assembly before I took the pic - its all there :bannana:

I was just trying to show that I cant find this vacuum line under the airfilter assembly that many others had mentioned.

That said, the light has just come back on again, so popping that U shaped pipe back on made no difference. So Im back to square one.

So far:
1) MAF error code, bought OEM MAF from ebay eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

2) No MAF error, now get P0172 #1 System too Rich
  • Stripped out air filter housing, checked all pipes, found that one U pipe that had popped off, put back on, checked all pipes for leaks (well signs of wear and cracks) all fine.
  • Mileage is round town on auto box 25 / 28
  • Car has 70k
3) When doing a cold start, engibe does a little judder - but settles quickly, eg 3 seconds

4) never stalls or has issues

Ive read posts on the o2 sensor.. not sure if I could do that on my own..

It could be the MAF still as it is not an original Bosch one, from your link.

I'm having same problem with rough idle and lack in power on my w203 c220 and was thinking MAF but will look into it more now before I buy one....

what are u using for diag?pc or tool?

Just on the subject of W203's using the 180K engine....am I right in thinking that they also suffer from stretched timing chains.....which also causes the EML light to come on.

The 180 k engine that suffers from the timing chain stretch is the M271 , his engine is the older M111 engine , a much better engine too IMHO

It could be the MAF still as it is not an original Bosch one, from your link.

Damn, really - I might email back the guy I got it from, he said that his units were reliable (wouldnt he just! :) ) so I might ask him if I can swap it out at least. It has 12 months warranty on it.

The original which I have is in the garage, wonder if putting that back on would give me back the MAF sensor error again. Just wondering if he may just say "well its not saying MAF error, so not the unit"

I could have got one from Bosch direct for £180 I think. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Guys

can I ask exactly what the MAF does? eg before I go back and request a replacement (last ditch attempt before buying a bosch)...

The error P0172 "system too rich bank one" could that actually be from the MAF being faulty and reporting it incorrectly? Ive just looked at the live data scan on the car I get "fuelsys 1 : CL- Fault"

Is that the same error as being report via P0172? Just dubious about splashing out for a Bosch to find something else is wrong.

Thanks

Hi MB owners. I've just resolved a problem on my W203 coupe which might me of interest to other W203 owners. ODB Scanner was reporting the usual P0171 and msisfire codes so like most people I rushed out and brought a Bosch MAF (£230!). Replaced the MAF but still no better (rough idle and poor acceleration). I took the airbox off again today and had a good look around and found a vacuum pipe had perished under the airbox. Quick fix (i.e. cut of the perished bit and re-attached) and all is good :thumb:

The chap at KMS told me that sell s*#t loads of W203 MAF's!!!...Well they would if the scan tools point to the MAF.

If you want to save yourself a hefty bill and buying bits you don't need please PM me and I will give you some pointers on checking this vacuum lead.

I suspect this will prove to me a common problem as the rubber hose sit's in a very hot and mucky location and prone to wear under these conditions.

Pretty poor design to be honest. MB should have substituted the cable for a different material.
Hi there, I'm wondering - and I know this is an old post. If anyone else solved this issue in the same way. Most of the time we have owned our 180k we have had this issue. The MAF replacement is $1200 over here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom