W203 C220 CDI Sports Coupe: Fuel leakage and starting problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vish

Car
C220 Coupe
Hello,

After number of trips to the mechanic and trying everything as far as I can understand, I am now writing to the enthusiasts here to help me with their experience and knowledge.

I have a C220 CDI sports coupe 2002 version.
History:
I got couple of injectors and glow plugs changed few months ago. Car was running brilliant. However, I noticed few weeks ago that whenever I used to park the car on a gradient, the car used to start up fine, with the least crank up. But if i parked it on a flat road overnight, I had to crank up a lot. Eventually, the car started to indicate battery/alternator issue. Since I already read a few posts regarding this, I knew that the problem could be regarding air/pressure leakage in the fuel pipes.

I took the car to my mechanic a week ago where in we found that there is a fuel leakage in the pipes as shown in picture 1. I got all the fuel pipes replaced as the mechanic suggested.

Currently:
The mechanic fitted all the pipes yesterday. We tried starting the car but failed. The battery went dead as the car was idle for a week. We tried checking fault codes but his computer didn't show up any. He tried checking the pressure on the long pipe connected to the injectors (not sure if it's a fuel rail - i don't know). The pressure at certain areas showed 0.4

He always sprayed something in one of the big black hose. The car started for few seconds but it just died again.

Please can you suggest what could be the issue and where can we begin to get this started now?

PS: I am not quite sure of certain parts that you might point out, so it would be great if you can help me with bit of a description/location of the part or a picture.

Thanks,
Vish.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 43
It sounds like he was spraying brake cleaner in to get it to fire up. You need to be very careful doing this!!!

Remove and charge the battery for a start, if the starter is not spinning over fast enough it will consume too much power and cause sensors to under read.

It sounds like the fuel system needs bleeding after the pipes have been changed!

Might be worth doing a search for the level starting problem!

Hello jamesfuller,

many thanks for your prompt reply.

Should he be not spraying the brake cleaner?

Also, I left the car with him, while he was charging it. Not sure if he is charging for long enough.

Any other suggestions that I might discuss with him?

Thanks a lot once again,
Vish

I would imagine he was spraying easy-start. How many pipes did he change? All the plastic pipes are low pressure pipes. The one from the fuel filter to the high pressure pump and the one that includes a T joint (with two connections to the HP pump) the black plastic air valve are the main culprits, usually the o ring seals on the joints degrade.

Hi Camerafodder,
He has changed all the low pressure pipes going to the pressure pump. Is there a picture of black plastic air valve that you mentioned?

What do you think could be the next step if all the pipes are changed?

Hi Vish. Near the top right of your picture you can see a white disc. That's the end of the valve. Its not the valve that gives issue but it comes as part of one of the pipes that you'll probably need to swap. You can just change the O ring seals on the ends but usually with old pipes you end up breaking the retaining clips, so pipe replacement is easier.

Long shot, but check that he didnt connect the fuel pipes to the low pressure pump the wrong way round, it's been done before........

Hi Vish. Near the top right of your picture you can see a white disc. That's the end of the valve. Its not the valve that gives issue but it comes as part of one of the pipes that you'll probably need to swap. You can just change the O ring seals on the ends but usually with old pipes you end up breaking the retaining clips, so pipe replacement is easier.

Hi Camerafodder,

Many thanks for your reply again.

I have changed that pipe as well. I got three pipes in all. When the pipes were installed, we tried firing the car. Gave it a good few crank. Just failed. Could still see some air bubbles in the pipes that were leaking initially.

Not sure where is the air coming from...

Cheers,
Vish.

Long shot, but check that he didnt connect the fuel pipes to the low pressure pump the wrong way round, it's been done before........

Hi.

Many thanks for your reply. Which one is the low pressure pump? Please can you point it out if you can see in the picture in my initial post?

Hi.

Many thanks for your reply. Which one is the low pressure pump? Please can you point it out if you can see in the picture in my initial post?

Its the smaller pump at the very top of the engine that 2 fuel pipes enter into, just above the larger high pressure pump.

Basically, ask the mechanic to re-check all the pipes are in their correct holes...

Its the smaller pump at the very top of the engine that 2 fuel pipes enter into, just above the larger high pressure pump.

I think I know what you mean. He did rectify that on Friday. I guess now they are right way. If I recall, he inserted the pipe from fuel filter into the inlet and the second one to the outlet (not sure where does that lead to). Unfortunately, I havent got a fuel system diagram handy. :(

If this is right, what do you think could be the next step to start up?

Many Thanks panason1c,
Vish.

I think I know what you mean. He did rectify that on Friday. I guess now they are right way. If I recall, he inserted the pipe from fuel filter into the inlet and the second one to the outlet (not sure where does that lead to). Unfortunately, I havent got a fuel system diagram handy. :(

If this is right, what do you think could be the next step to start up?

Many Thanks panason1c,
Vish.

Just needs to recheck all connections are correct and airtight....

By the way.........your alternator belt looks in a bad way in the pic...

Just needs to recheck all connections are correct and airtight....

By the way.........your alternator belt looks in a bad way in the pic...

Hi Panason1c,

I guess the connections are in place. It's the air we are trying to get rid of now, as not sure where else could it be coming from?! And how can we bleed it?

Both the belts have been ordered. Picking them up on monday. Cheers for that.

Hi Panason1c,

I guess the connections are in place. It's the air we are trying to get rid of now, as not sure where else could it be coming from?! And how can we bleed it?

Both the belts have been ordered. Picking them up on monday. Cheers for that.

The fuel system is 'self bleeding' by cranking the engine.........though once the fuel system has been opened up it can sometimes take quite a lot of cranking before it starts.

Just check that the injector electric plugs (at the top of each injector) are all pushed fully home as one might have been disturbed during the work..... (if just one is not making a good connection the engine will not start).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom