W203 C220 rear bearings (hub swap?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ThePadd

Car
2006 W203 C220 in Black
Hi guys,
I bought an inexpensive W203 C220 (06 reg) a couple of years ago as I was in need of a car and not being able to find the right W204 car I wanted, this was a cheap solution. In obsidian, with black leather and Avantgarde spec I still think it looks classy.
Over the last couple of years I've sorted the brakes, rear screen, Michelins all round (lasting much better than the Contis), and a few other odds and sods.
Now I have 3 outstansing issues, of which the rear wheel bearing is the most pressing.
I took the car into Prospect Solihull, my local indy, who I usually rate, but they didn't know what it was. I was sure it was rear wheel bearing but they said they couldn't do it if it was.
So I took it to Mercedes Solihull and they confirmed it was the O/S rear wheel bearing and that would be £887 please.
Now I'm not a skinflint (ok. maybe I am), but as this car is getting worth less and less, I'd rather find more cost effective solutions to the problem.
I can buy a s/h hub off eBay for less than £20 and it doesn't look that hard to fit. Remove the calliper and disc, then unbolt the drive shaft, unbolt all the link arms and tap it off. Re-fitting should be the reverse of removal, torque it all up properly, and you're done.
If the bearing starts to wuhwuhwuhwuh again, I can just get a new bearing fitted in the old hub, and swap them back again.
The guy at Prospect said that the bearings just don't go, but at 146K I'll take the risk that some occasionally do, but I have a better than 50/50 chance on the replacement lasting for a few more years!
Please let me know if this makes sense, or if I've missed anything. I'm assuming the alignment will all still be good as I'm not touching the suspension arms??

So long as you tighten all the outer bolts up with the suspension under load it should be fine, it's all the inner bolts on the arms that change the geometry.

They are right in saying they don't fail, they just don't.. You will also have to remove/refit the handbrake shoes and cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom