W203 C240 Ignition Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeoffreyAlby123

Car
C200K
My W203 C240 Estate has developed a random ignition problem over the last coupe of weeks.

Sometimes the engine does not start, ignition lights will come on in Position 1 & 2 but nothing happens when I turn to start the engine. Engine does not crank.

It will not start for 6 or 7 times then randomly start. Have looked at threads on here and tried having foot on footbrake or headlights switched on, this seems to help but not all the time.

Have also now noticed that if dash is in Trip Computer mode when I turn to position 2 if the Miles/Duration/Speed/MPG digits stay displayed the car will start. But if I turn to Position 2 and the digits arent displayed but just dashs in those fields the engine wont start.

Does the gear position display show the 'P' on the dash when not working?
Mine has a similar thing. If I turn the ignition on & the 'P' symbol ISN'T there... it won't turn over. If I turn the ignition on & the 'P' symbol IS there, she'll turn over & fire.
When it ISN'T there I leave the ignition on for 5 -10 mins & they appear & off we go.

You may have a faulty automatic gear selector position switch. If the car doesn't "know" its in PARK or NEUTRAL it won't start.

Do you know if it's a replaceable part or will I have to get a new complete gear selector module?

Cheers :thumb:

Mine seems to work if I leave the ignition on for 5 mins anyway so not a big hindrance at the mo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom