W203 Coupe Both Keys stopped working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arctree

Car
W203 C220 Coupe 2007
:doh:
Hi there, Just got my first MB a month ago.
W203 C220 CDI Coupe, 2007

Came back to the car today from work, clicked the fob key, it lit up but no car response on unlock or lock, had to use the key, the siren went off, inserted key inside and the car started.

Got home, tried the other key, same thing. Both keys light up but no response from the car.

Tried the fuses in the boot one at a time, non blown.
Tried a fob right up next to the door and the internal light lit up, hmmm.

Any suggestions why both fobs stopped working at the same time? I don't think its a fob battery issue.

I hope this isn't going to spoil my Christmas.

Last edited:
RF antenna down?

How's the radio reception?

Do the lights / etc in the overhead control panel work ? On some models it translates the received radio signals - I haven't actually check for a W204 though

Do the lights / etc in the overhead control panel work ? On some models it translates the received radio signals - I haven't actually check for a W204 though

Hi Richard
Overhead panel has lights so seems ok.
Tried again later whilst trying to re sync keys and car locked when i pressed button from inside then nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Richard
Overhead panel has lights so seems ok.
Tried again later whilst trying to re sync keys and car locked when i pressed button from inside then nothing.

So, times goes by, i press a button, the car dutifully locks/unlocks, i have a 'Homer Simpson' moment.
I blame my Merc' nubie-ness and my left index finger.
The culprit (appart from me) is the lower of the two 'off' buttons in the pic'.
Doh!IMG_0510.JPG

Last edited:
That button turns off the interior motion sensor, nothing else. It resets each time the car is unlocked.

Uh-oh, not out of the woods yet then . I'll have to see what happens next. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the heads-up.

On a slightly different note: if I disconnect the battery to reset ecu would I need to input any codes on reconnect?
Ie engine code or radio?

By way of testing the remote, does the summer convenience feature work when the unlock button is pressed continuously ?
Hold the remote 2mm from the door handle sensor.
Can’t help with what you will need to reset if you disconnect the car battery.

Dec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UOlZtlu7Nw

[YOUTUBE]0UOlZtlu7Nw[/YOUTUBE]

By way of testing the remote, does the summer convenience feature work when the unlock button is pressed continuously ?

Hold the remote 2mm from the door handle sensor.

Can’t help with what you will need to reset if you disconnect the car battery.

Dec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UOlZtlu7Nw

[YOUTUBE]0UOlZtlu7Nw[/YOUTUBE]

I haven't tried that yet but that tube was pretty interesting, Whats a sodder Iron? Only kidding. Thanks for that info. When I get out of my slave session I'll see what I get.

I haven't tried that yet but that tube was pretty interesting, Whats a sodder Iron? Only kidding. Thanks for that info. When I get out of my slave session I'll see what I get.

Both keys are now working as expected. I'll call that a fix then!
Thanks for all the input, i learnt a few things along the way.

I wonder, is it fixed, does the Red alarm armed light blink on the dash switch when the car is locked with the remote?
Can you now lock the car with the remote while standing 6 feet away and without pointing the remote at the driver’s door handle?

Dec

I wonder, is it fixed, does the Red alarm armed light blink on the dash switch when the car is locked with the remote?
Can you now lock the car with the remote while standing 6 feet away and without pointing the remote at the driver’s door handle?

Dec

Dec
The ted alarm blinks, car locks unlocks from 30+ feet away from inside my coat! I recon that'll do me for now unless its intermittent. Testing continues.

If my experience is anything to go by this issue will return. We had a similar issue on our 203. Both keys would intermittently stop working. Dealer insisted it was the keys! Needless to say new keys did not solve the issue. No surprises there. It was still under warranty fortunately. Eventually they sorted it with a new part for the security system. Cant remember precisely what.

If my experience is anything to go by this issue will return. We had a similar issue on our 203. Both keys would intermittently stop working. Dealer insisted it was the keys! Needless to say new keys did not solve the issue. No surprises there. It was still under warranty fortunately. Eventually they sorted it with a new part for the security system. Cant remember precisely what.

I suspect this will be the case. In the mean time I can learn and use the car which is handy. If you remember what the part is please let me know, thanks for that though.

Does the car issue an audible bleep when you lock/unlock???

On the W211 the device that emits the audible warning is a sealed for life unit that has a battery inside which after a few years fails. Initially the only issue is that the audible signal doesn't happen but my dealer tells me that further down the line other issues emerge.

On the W211 the sealed for life unit is around £100 - simple screw in/out device no resetting needed on STAR, or so I'm told.

According to the dogs in the street, the designers at Mercedes decided it was unbecoming for any Mercedes-Benz to be heard beeping in public so the decided to turn off the locking beeps, the beeps come from the car alarm siren.
Your car is likely to have the beeps disabled, I don’t think the beeps can be turned on in the menus of your car but may be wrong about that. 'audio off' might mean the radio?

If you need to buy a new siren, take your VIN to the dealer and the will supply the correct siren for your car. If you fit it yourself then it will beep when locking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro2GrvpIsus

[YOUTUBE]ro2GrvpIsus[/YOUTUBE]

The Mercedes alarm siren contains the alarm brain and has rechargeable batteries inside, eventually, at around 10 years of age, the rechargeable batteries start to corrode and short circuit, the PCB may become damaged, causing problems like false alarms, battery drains and other odd faults, perhaps your mystery locking problem was caused by a failing alarm siren.

Siren%20battries.jpg

Its best to test the alarm regularly by triggering it, when triggered, it should flash the hazards for 3 minutes and sound the siren for 30 seconds, after 3 minutes it should reset itself.

See also… http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/214758-w211-alarm-siren-replacement.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzmpeK1TFfw

[YOUTUBE]BzmpeK1TFfw[/YOUTUBE]

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom