W203 down on power/no kickdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ss201

MB Enthusiast
Car
190E 2.6 Sportline, W203 320 CDi SE Estate
Car is a 2005 W203 320 CDi.

The engine warning light has come on - owner's handbook recommends booking in for diagnostic check. Phoned my indie this morning to book it in on his machine but he's away until Sept 10, so have booked it in for then.

The car starts well, idles and runs ok, but on pressing the accelerator, the engine lacks the usual power and the kickdown doesn't want to kick in, so have lost the almost instant "go" the car had before in any gear. The manual over-ride on the tiptronic box shifts up and down as per normal and once up to speed the engine runs, sounds and cruises just fine. The car has just lost it's "oomph" (of which it had plenty beforehand).

Will it be OK to continue driving in the meantime and has anyone come across this before, and if so, what was the problem?

Any ideas, please?

Thank you. I didn't expect such a comprehensive and informed response, so this speedy reply is very much appreciated.

I've every confidence in my local indie and I'm sure he'll be able to find the fault and fix it. I'm just disappointed that he chose last Saturday to get married and this week to be away on honeymoon. He's usually much more considerate than that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom