w203 EPS FAULT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C230kompressor

Car
1997 C230 Kompressor SPORT(SOLD) ---1993 C180 ESPRIT(SOLD)---1989 190E Cosworth REP(SOLD)
hi there
i braught a 2001 c180 (w203)
about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Its been going well until this morning on the way to work when there was a sudden jerk to the left followed by the yellow triangle lighting up then followed by EPS fault message.
working at a garage i have access to a scan tool. the codes were
C1022
C1024
C1031
C1200
C1120
C1140
C1400
i cleared the codes to see if it would happen again as some of the codes could have been stored previously.

on the drive home about 20min from home it happend again. the jerk to the left feels like the ABS is locking the n/s/f wheel for a split second

i read the codes again at home and they all have appeard again

i just dont know where to start! im having trouble finding out what all the codes are!

any help would be appecated

Hi ya, i will have a look for the others
C1022 ESP CAN communication with the engine system is faulty
C1024 CAN Communication With Engine Control Module Interrupted
C1200 BAS/ETS light on: stop light switch defective
C1140 ESP fault: pin 18,19,20 on ESP controller corroded
C1031 Engine control module not identified or incorrect control module. STORED
C1120 N64(ESP yaw rate sensor):Signal cable has Open circuit or Short circuit. STORED
C1400ASR/ESP charging pump (M15), open/short circuit, This is a generic obd11 code i think and not merc specific

I think all the codes are to do with water ingress

Martin

Last edited:
Last edited:
thanks for the replys

i havent had any time to look at the car atm
i think i will start by checking the brake switch and the wheel sensors

its just weird how it seemed to happen about 30/40min into a jurney
and at any speed. the first time i was doing 30mph and the second i was doing 70 on a duel carrageway. could possibly be water ingress as i did give the car a good clean
does any one know where the esp ecu is? or is it part of the abs ecu on the pump

the dangerous part is the fact that the abs activates on the n/s/f wheel for a split second an as you can imagn that split second can be extremly dangerous at 70mph

Surely it's best to clear all codes and rescan when the fault re appears???

Surely it's best to clear all codes and rescan when the fault re appears???

thats what I did the first time! All 7 codes appeard again!

update:- iv taken the car out for the first time since and no problems ( so far ) I think im
Still gona have a good look over it 2moz! Also I spoke 2 a friend of mine who used to work for mercedes, I explaind the symptoms and codes. He seems to think it could be the brake pedal switch. If so I still cant work out why it would cause just the n/s/f wheel to lock for a split second! If it caused both fronts at the same time then fair enough! but on one wheel? really?

If it has stopped doing it then maybe it was water ingress as i said in my first post and it has dried out

Martin

Could it be a faulty ABS wheel sensor, or could water ingress of the sensor cause the symptoms?

A couple of extracts from a C Class (W203) workshop manual:

Correct operation of the stop-light switch is essential. Without the signal from the stop-light switch that the brakes have been applied, the ABS will not function. Similarly if the signal from the switch is delayed (due to the switch plunger sticking, for example), there will be a corresponding delay in operation of the ABS.

On models equipped with traction control, the ABS unit is a dual function unit, and performs both the anti-lock braking system (ABS) and the Traction control (ASR) system functions. On models with Electronic Stability Program (ESP), the ASB unit is also used to modulate the brakes as required.

The ECU is located in the fusebox at the right hand side rear of the bulkhead.
There are several warnings regarding static electricity and the ECU. If you intend checking it at all, let me know and I will scan the relevant info and let you have it, or indeed any info you require regarding the brakes and their components.
The ECU is a none serviceable item.

Last edited:
UPDATE:- After driving to work today all 40 miles of it (Its back on) about 35 miles into the jurney BING up came the eps warning!
code read it at work and the only code there was the c1120
our scan tool describes the code as- C1120 ESP YAW RATE SENSOR (N64)
but as per walsi's post -C1120 N64(ESP yaw rate sensor):Signal cable has Open circuit or Short circuit. STORED
it could be broken cable to the sensor or the sensor it self?
does any one know any more about this sensor or where it is located?
i did a lil reserch and found the location in the coupe is in the boot but i have a saloon could it still be in the same place?

I can't help with the location but i get this code on the vito sometimes when i go over a rough lane, on mine it is located right next to my left boot just under the edge of the rubber floor mat right where it gets wet and dirty if you have muddy boots. What were they thinking sticking it there. I just delete it and forget about it, i might actually sort it one day.

Martin

I can't help with the location but i get this code on the vito sometimes when i go over a rough lane, on mine it is located right next to my left boot just under the edge of the rubber floor mat right where it gets wet and dirty if you have muddy boots. What were they thinking sticking it there. I just delete it and forget about it, i might actually sort it one day.

Martin

lol im driving with the eps turned off atm and trying to forget about it
but every time i look at the clocks i see the yellow triangle shining away at me lol its hard to ignore lol:wallbash:

Right iv located the YAW sensor, it is in the boot. iv also some how located some water around the sensor here is some pics just to show any one else with the problem
DSC_0412.jpg

the boot
DSC_0413.jpg

if you look towards the top left you can see a hole gromit i removed to drain off some of the water there is two there both we corroded around the edge. its possible this is where the water got in
DSC_0414.jpg

a close up of one of the holes. the black mat around the hole is soaked
DSC_0415.jpg

a close up of the wire harness that comes from under the boot again you can see water and corrosion i have not attempted to remove this yet to clean the hole as i dont know what it goes to or if its supposed to come out.
DSC_0418.jpg

water and corrosion around where the sensor bolts down.
DSC_0420.jpg

both the holes. i have removed the gromits and removed the soaked mat dryed the lot and refitted and sealed the gromits.

now just have to wait and see if the water is still coming in

ok the problem is still there infact its now getting worse. happening as soon as you start to drive it! i do have access to an oldish carsoft scanner that iv used on my previous 202's. the only thing is it has a 38pin connector not the newer 16 pin
does any one know if the 203 has a hidden 38pin somewhere that mb might use or do mb now use the 16pin?

Hi C230kompressor, I have a very similar issue to what you are experiencing in that the ESP disables itself quite randomly however there is no impact the braking system as with your issue.

I have narrowed this down to only occurring when it is wet which seems to tie in with what you have described.

It suggests to me there is a sensor on my car being effected by water ingress, can any one advise on where I need to look?

I will check the boot out as per you pictures.

Also can someone point me in the direction of a fault diagnostic scanner that will work with the W203 so i can read the error codes?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Hi C230kompressor, I have a very similar issue to what you are experiencing in that the ESP disables itself quite randomly however there is no impact the braking system as with your issue.

I have narrowed this down to only occurring when it is wet which seems to tie in with what you have described.

It suggests to me there is a sensor on my car being effected by water ingress, can any one advise on where I need to look?

I will check the boot out as per you pictures.

Also can someone point me in the direction of a fault diagnostic scanner that will work with the W203 so i can read the error codes?
Thanks in advance,
Martin

Hi martin
Im still having problems with min! Its now got to the point like you have described
Where the eps deactivats it self randomly without nothing happening! Have you tryed
Driving with you eps turnd off by the button! When I drive with it turnd off by the button
All of a sudden the triangle will flash. If I then apply the brakes. The eps then turns itself
Off! There is 2 sensors in the boot ! One is the yaw sensor and as far as I can work out the other calculats the acceleration and deaceleration! I will keep you updated! Have you tryed your local garage for having the codes read?

Luke

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the response, I haven't tried driving it with the ESP turned of as yet no, I only seem to get the error when the car has been driven in the wet and been switched off. When I come back shortly after it reports the ESP is in-operable when I put the key in the ignition. I will give this a go when its next wet and keep you posted.

I was looking to get a error code reader of some sort to read the codes myself as the local garage wanted £60 for the check. There appear to be lots of different readers available so want some advise on what to buy.

Cheers,
Martin

I would stop the guessing and get it diagnosed properly with a Star. It's not just fault codes that you need its live data too.

Most code readers that are not marque specific dont always pull all the codes.

I would stop the guessing and get it diagnosed properly with a Star. It's not just fault codes that you need its live data too.

Most code readers that are not marque specific dont always pull all the codes.

Its ok saying that but my local mb dealer are rude even when I have to order parts from them for work!
I dont wana go there through princaple

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom