W203 External boot handle failed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
The external boot release handle on my 2003 W203 saloon has stopped working.

The handle no longer opens the boot when operated and also has no sprung return so I assume it has failed internally, the boot still opens from the remote and from the internal button so I assume that the wiring is still OK, lights etc are all functioning.

Looking at the handle it seems simple to remove via a couple of screws so I am assuming remove, unplug, replace?

If anyone had a part number it would be helpful, I am going to find it difficult to get to my local dealer for some time but with the part number I can hopefully order and pay for it over the 'phone and have it delivered.

Of course if anyone has a working spare kindly let me know!

Thank you.

David

The external boot release handle on my 2003 W203 saloon has stopped working.

The handle no longer opens the boot when operated and also has no sprung return so I assume it has failed internally, the boot still opens from the remote and from the internal button so I assume that the wiring is still OK, lights etc are all functioning.

Looking at the handle it seems simple to remove via a couple of screws so I am assuming remove, unplug, replace?

If anyone had a part number it would be helpful, I am going to find it difficult to get to my local dealer for some time but with the part number I can hopefully order and pay for it over the 'phone and have it delivered.

Of course if anyone has a working spare kindly let me know!

Thank you.

David

Might be worth oiling with WD40 or similar? Our W203 had the handle stuck in the open position occasionally which would prevent it from opening - not quite sure how it stayed closed though.

Might be worth oiling with WD40 or similar? Our W203 had the handle stuck in the open position occasionally which would prevent it from opening - not quite sure how it stayed closed though.

Thanks

It has no sprung return which suggests it has failed in some way. I will take it out to look at the mechanism.

Solved

Thanks to all that replied and to Nick for the link.

I decided to take the mechanism out and have a look to see if anything obvious was amiss, the whole unit was caked in fine dirt and mud.

A few minutes cleaning and use of compressed air and spray lubricant and it is, for now, operating normally!

At least I know how to remove it and also where to find the part if needed.:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom