W203 idiot 20 - do I have fibre optics?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hairboy

Car
2006 C220 CDI SPORT ESTATE
Having done some research on audio upgrade on my w203, I've been convinced I don't have Bose upgrade, hence no fibre optics, and I've since bought a Pioneer HU with all the right harness and leads to replace audio 20. I took apart the dashboard this afternoon, only to find the dreaded orange cables, and a label on the audio 20 that says class 1 laser product. I don't have Bose upgrade (certainly no marks on the speaker grilles, and no amp anywhere to be found) but is it possible I still have fibre optics running in the car? If that's the case, what do I have to do to fit my new head unit? Is it a complete speaker wire rewire throughout the car? I really don't fancy having to do that if I can help it...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 32
Your car is MOST equipped, which means the various audio, phone etc units communicate via fibre optics. But speaker connections are normal wire. Even with Bose it was just the connection between the head unit and amp that was fibre optic.

Thanks. So I should still be able to just connect the harness, no head unit should work, right?

You may need an adapter between the Pioneer and MB wiring block. Do you have CD changer? Mobile pre wire? If so you will need to maintain the MOST ring and probably the changer will no longer work.

No cd changer. Single cd is all I had which is the reason for the change. I have an adaptor between the car and stereo with steering control adaptor as well. I'll have another go tomorrow. It's getting a bit dark now

Lol. Just realised I mistyped audio without 'a' which iPhone read it as idiot. How appropriate for how I was feeling at the time :)

Anyway, I had a go connecting it up in the dark, and it worked just fine. I don't know what function the fibre optics were wired in to do on audio 20, but certainly not missing it. And the Pioneer sounds miles better than before. The extra power makes even the stock speakers sound rather good. Rather happy with it, I must say. To orrow's job is to put the dash back together!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom