W203 Rear number plate light issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MTailor

Hi all,

For the last couple days I have had 1 malfunction (Right number plate light).

I have inspected and looked like the bulb was blown. (Could also see some surface rust on the connector, which is cleaned off).

I then replaced the bulb with a 39mm festoon bulb.

The new right size bulb is now flicking on and off.

Changed the bulb again for another and still got the same issue. Even tried an LED bulb.

Sometimes it starts off really dim and then cuts out, or in some cases just stays off.

I have noticed if I open and close the boot lid to a certain angle, the light comes on and off.

Anyone got any ideas on what is going on here and what’s required to sort it?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Thanks for the replies.

Any suggestions on where to start to look for the broken wire(s)?

Thanks for the replies.

Any suggestions on where to start to look for the broken wire(s)?

As in post 2, the harness around the hinge area would be a good place to start. If you find any then just solder a new piece of wire in and use heat shrink insulator.

Thanks for the responses.

Does anyone know whether the wires/cables go down a particular left or right side of the boot arm/ hinge or do they go down both?

Reading through the Haynes Workshop manual on boot lid removal, (only clue to its location) the wiring runs through the left hand hinge.

Hey I got the same problem here too but when I changed to Normal(non led )light it works well... anyone know what causes the problem. I have changed like couple of times but it stills flickers one side LED

Hi all,

For the last couple days I have had 1 malfunction (Right number plate light).

I have inspected and looked like the bulb was blown. (Could also see some surface rust on the connector, which is cleaned off).

I then replaced the bulb with a 39mm festoon bulb.

The new right size bulb is now flicking on and off.

Changed the bulb again for another and still got the same issue. Even tried an LED bulb.

Sometimes it starts off really dim and then cuts out, or in some cases just stays off.

I have noticed if I open and close the boot lid to a certain angle, the light comes on and off.

Anyone got any ideas on what is going on here and what’s required to sort it?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

I replaced the holders in my S203 , they were better for a bit , then problematic again . These lights are just a cr@p design and problematic at the best of times .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom