W203 Sport Pack - Front brake differences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srefre

Car
W124 E220 >> W203 C180 >> W204 C320
I have a W203 saloon with sport pack, and a friend has the same.

On my car, the front discs are slightly bigger, and drilled, and the callipers have "Mercedes-Benz" on them. My friends car has solid discs and the callipers are plain.

Both cars are the same year (post facelift), both sport edition, so my question is why do they not have the same brakes as my car? I thought the sport pack meant they should have this. They have all the other features of the sport pack though, the slightly lower and stiffer suspension, bigger 17" wheels etc...

Can anyone explain why the difference with the front brakes?

Cheers

You can get sports pack which is just the suspension, the wheels could have been fitted after.

I suspect your friends car is a sport edition model and yours has a sport pack as an option with the big4 pot brakes.

Also check both cars have the same front seats as they are different on sport model vs sport pack.
The seats have bigger bolsters on a car fitted with a sport pack as a optional extra.

Last edited:
My car has the 4 pot front brakes and drilled discs.

OP states his friend has solid discs ,never heard of solid discs on the front of a 203 or does he mean non drilled type??

I suspect your friends car is a sport edition model and yours has a sport pack as an option with the big4 pot brakes.

Also check both cars have the same front seats as they are different on sport model vs sport pack.
The seats have bigger bolsters on a car fitted with a sport pack as a optional extra.

That was my understanding as well - that the larger cross-drilled discs are part of the 'Sport' edition.

As for the Sports Pack, this is what the My2006 brochure says:

'The sports package features 17-inch, 5-spoke light-alloy wheels, with size 225/45 tyres at the front and size 245/40 tyres at the rear'. No mention of brake discs...

OP states his friend has solid discs ,never heard of solid discs on the front of a 203 or does he mean non drilled type??

I am assuming he meant ventilated non-drilled as opposed to ventilated cross drilled...

My 2005 S203 has the Sports Pack option with bigger cross drilled brakes, lower stiffer suspension, Sport exhaust, 17" alloys and the sports seats

My 2005 S203 has the Sports Pack option with bigger cross drilled brakes, lower stiffer suspension, Sport exhaust, 17" alloys and the sports seats

...but what's the base model, e.g. Classic, Elegance, Avantgarde, Sport...?

As my signature line ...

Ditto for mine:D

Also 3 spoke steering wheel and stainless steel pedals

Last edited:

I have the sports option as well I hadn't realised there was a sport exhaust :thumb:

On the theme of 4 pot brake calipers does anyone know it the c55 (AMG) calipers will fit as a replacement for the sport upgrade? Its just I've noticed there seems to be more of C55 calipers availble as opposed to the Sport upgrade, and it may be a cheaper/easier option to replace with them if a caliper seizes!

When I bought mine I toyed between the avant-garde se + sports pack or the sports edition. I went for the former because of the upgraded brakes. The sports edition had different wheels, AMG body styling and flashier dials. I preferred the bigger brakes. I think it was a £650 option.

Sorry, yes, I meant non-drilled discs, not solid discs!

Apart from the front brakes, the cars have the same stainless pedals, 3 spoke steering wheel, seats, tailpipe, 17" wheels (both cars have 225/45 front and 245/40 rear tyres).

Both cars are definitely sport edition, the biggest giveaway is that both have it written on the side.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Yours Might be a sport Edition With Upgrade pack.
Your friends might be a standard Sport edition.

Are the calipers the same on both cars.

Some people fit non drilled discs at replacnent time as i,ve heard drilled discs can judder when worn.

I forgot those pedals! But thought the 3 spoke was on all facelifted 203s?

I think (but don't shoot me as I am not certain), that the 3 spoke steering wheel was not on all facelifted 203s (only the sport and sportspack options).

I have a copy of the 2005 price list (albeit for saloons) and it details the the sportspack option as containing:

Sports Package
consisting of:
Alloy wheels (4) – 5-spoke
front: 7.5J x 17 (225/45 tyres)
rear: 8.5J x 17 (245/40 tyres)
Brakes with cross-drilled discs
Floor mats
Front brake callipers with “Mercedes-Benz” lettering
Leather trimmed sports gearshift
Lowered sports suspension
Multi-function leather three-spoke sports steering wheel with thumb rests
Pedals with stainless steel inserts and rubber studs

Polished stainless steel tailpipe
(only on petrol engines)
Sports exhaust system

(only on petrol engines)
Sports seats

(standard with black leather Twin2 and available in optional black leather 3)

All for the princely sum of £630 inc vat. Which seems a bit of a bargain to me:D

Last edited:
Yours Might be a sport Edition With Upgrade pack.
Your friends might be a standard Sport edition.

Are the calipers the same on both cars.

Some people fit non drilled discs at replacnent time as i,ve heard drilled discs can judder when worn.

Could be that.

Calipers are not the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom