W203 springs for sport chassis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Snoop108

Car
Mercedes c27cdi
Hi folks, I have a 2002 W203 c270cdi estate, which has recently had front suspension work completed. The car is an elegance model with sports chassis, so I spec'd the springs as such, Sachs sports lowered for C270/C320cdi. The struts are also spec'd Bilstein B4 for this model, and I also got the strut mounts, and tie rods changed, Lemforder parts.
My gripe is the front seems to sit higher than before and the car has lost its sporty stance. The rear looks fine, with perfect wheel gap at the arch, the rims are AMG 17" 5 spoke, with wider rears by the way, but the front looks an inch higher on the wheel arch gap. It just looks dopey now.

Any advice or experience would be much appreciated, Thanks, David

Get the springs from the dealership, must be specified against the VIN.

Get the springs from the dealership, must be specified against the VIN.

I think he was trying to lower the car by user shorter/ stiffer springs than stock.

Hi folks, I have a 2002 W203 c270cdi estate, which has recently had front suspension work completed. The car is an elegance model with sports chassis, so I spec'd the springs as such, Sachs sports lowered for C270/C320cdi. The struts are also spec'd Bilstein B4 for this model, and I also got the strut mounts, and tie rods changed, Lemforder parts.
My gripe is the front seems to sit higher than before and the car has lost its sporty stance. The rear looks fine, with perfect wheel gap at the arch, the rims are AMG 17" 5 spoke, with wider rears by the way, but the front looks an inch higher on the wheel arch gap. It just looks dopey now.

Any advice or experience would be much appreciated, Thanks, David

David, when you say elegance model with sports chassis, do you mean the car's suspension has been replaced with "sports" suspension in the past?

The reason I ask is that from the factory, the Elegance model would have been the highest riding and most comfort orientated model, and so it may be lower now than when it left the factory, but not as low as it was before you completed the front suspension work.

Hi, the vehicle was fitted with Mercedes sport chassis suspension from factory. It was an optional add on with the Elegance spec. (option 486). The car is supposed to sit 15mm lower than standard. The springs were supplied by Euro Carparts as per the registration, and as far as I was aware Sachs very probably make the springs for Mercedes. The problem was when i gave my reg to Mercedes and Euro carparts, a list of different springs appeared. The ones I picked should have been the correct spec, it was the only lower sport spring available as per Mercedes spec, for the c270/320cdi

Would the springs and shocks need a settling in period?

Options fitted to the car will change the spring code, only MB can generate the correct code from the VIN.

If you want to go lower than OEM, I'd recommend Bilstein coil-overs. If you can stretch to the cost of P14s you can adjust the ride height as you want.

I wouldn't trust Euro Carparts to reference the correct parts

Would the springs and shocks need a settling in period?

The dampers (shocks) follow the springs and do not determine the ride height. If the height at the front is incorrect, it would be either the springs, or the struts.

Options fitted to the car will change the spring code, only MB can generate the correct code from the VIN.

If you want to go lower than OEM, I'd recommend Bilstein coil-overs. If you can stretch to the cost of P14s you can adjust the ride height as you want.

I wouldn't trust Euro Carparts to reference the correct parts

Also, the MB springs should be colour coded.

eeeeek! face palm! so yeah I should've went to Mercedes for the springs.
The car does have some odd specs from factory for an elegance spec. Probably every optional extra available in 2002, inside and out, including the sports chassis suspension and a lowered driver seat!
Looks like we'll have to live with it now Doh!

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom