W203 strange noise/sensation when braking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cliveost

Car
C220 sports coupe
Hi hope someone can help.

I have a 2003 w203 sport coupe 220cdi auto and when I'm braking from reasonable speed I get a sensation like a vibration on the n/s front as if my discs are very thin and you can feel the vented ribs. The car itself doesn't vibrate nor the steering wheel however there is a noise. The car has had new discs and pads but this is not the cause as it happened before they were changed. It has also had new inner and outer wheel bearings. I am wondering if it could be a suspension component failing and allowing the brake forces to be transferred into the body or something.
Hope someone can help as it's quite annoying and worrying
Cheers Clive

It might be the rears.

The rear discs can warp too and it is easy to. It's as you don't get the vibration through the the steering wheel, it feels like it is coming through the whole car.

If brakes are ruled out then it is likely to be play in a suspension component, probably one of the control arms, if it is the rubber bush then this can be replaced if it is an original MB component, if it is the ball joint you need to replace the arm.

I had a similar issue on mine, changing a control arm cured it.

Hi thanks for the replies. I shall check the read discs at the weekend. The control arms and bushes have been checked in the last couple of weeks. The only thing I didn't check on the front was the strut top mounts

DSM10000 said:
If brakes are ruled out then it is likely to be play in a suspension component, probably one of the control arms, if it is the rubber bush then this can be replaced if it is an original MB component, if it is the ball joint you need to replace the arm. I had a similar issue on mine, changing a control arm cured it.

Front upper control arm , the alloy one defo! Did mine last year.

Deleted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom