W203 wheel sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeffers1956

Car
mercedes c class
Hi Guys,

I am new so bear with me I have tried scouring other threads to no avail (prob never looked hard enough). I have just bought a 2006 W203 CDI 220 it has 19inch AMG wheels and they have as I now find out been previously welded. I don't like the idea. Can anyone tell me the correct wheel size I need for 16 or 17 inch tyres.

Does anyone know if it should have been logged as an advisory as it was only MOT`d last week with a clean bill of health.

Cheers much appreciated

IIRC the specs for 16's and 17's are in the back of the owners manual somewhere. You'll get a much softer ride on either compared to 19's!

Be aware that W204 wheels would need special bolts to fit to a W203 as the 203 uses 12mm bolts, the 204 14mm. Correct adapter bolts are available from alloywheelsdirect.net.

Thanks for that but some have different size front and back wheels and not sure if mine should. How can you tell ?.

Cheers

Thanks for that but some have different size front and back wheels and not sure if mine should. How can you tell ?.

Cheers

If you jack up and remove one front wheel and one rear you'll find stamped inside the wheel the size. You should have three numbers/letters.
One will be the Mercedes Part number beginning A203.........., then you will have the ET and finally the size of the rim which will be noted 7.5j,8j,8.5, etc.
If your wheel set up is staggered, the rear wheel will be larger than the front.

To find the size tyre you need for either a 16 or 17" wheel, check the chart below after scrolling down to W203 wheels.

Mercedes-Benz Fitting Chart and Wheel Fitment Guide | Alloy Wheels Direct

As above, make sure you are buying replacement wheels for a W203 as the ET (offset) and bolt sizes are different for a later W204 C Class.

Hi AMGeed,

Thanks for that very helpful.

Cheers

Take a look at the following link. As you will see, there are only Brabus alloys available, but if you click on the 'Show Unavailable Wheels' you will see all the different alloys which were available for the W203, from 15" up to 19". It also shows the offsets if you click on a particular wheel, it's important to get the right, along with the stud length, to ensure a proper fit.

The different front and back wheel size you mention, refers to the staggered wheel setup, with wider rims on the back. (Both are the same diameter). I'm not 100% sure but think this option was standard fitting on vehicles with the Sport Pack, which mine has.

Most, if not all, of the wheels shown in the details for the W203 were optional and AFAIK there wasn't a standard factory fitted wheel.

The link >>> Mercedes C Class Saloon Alloys (W203) - Alloy Wheels Direct

Last edited:

Cheers

If you go into the parts department of your friendly local dealer with the Vin number , they will be able to print out a data card showing exactly what the car left the factory with .

In fact , if you post the VIN here , some members can do a VIN decode for you and post up the results .

Oh and , as above , if you have the owners' manual it definitely lists the various wheel options that were available - the manual for my C270 had it over several pages - there is no one 'correct' option , but all the options listed in the manual are permissible .

The ideal set up for summer tyres on the W203 is 7.5j 17 front wheels with 225/45 17 tyres, and 8.5j rear wheels with 245/40 17 tyres.

For winter the optimum set up is slightly different, 7.5j 17 wheels all round with 225/45 17 tyres.

I have a mint set of four AMG III alloys in 7.5j 17 fitment which were my winter wheels for my C32 AMG (great car). I could be persuaded to sell them ;)

Much obliged fellers I got myself some now, thanks for all the help excellent site with very helpful members and am I glad I got a Merc again LUVLY

Could you possibly post some pictures of the wheels you opted for. Thanks Al.:thumb:

Hi Al,

Yes will do they are 16 inch dezent from wheelbase Oldham £609 delivered with Pirelli tyres I will take some later today

Jeffers 1956 photies

Made a hash of the images I will try again

Last edited:
Jeffers 1956 photies

Here are a couple or three

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

Last edited:
Done a hand stand too look at your pic's :D , nice looking wheels on a great looking car :thumb:. Just had mine detailed and will be getting a wheel refurb done in the near future just looking to keep mine stock. Pics on the detailing section under shiney shiney C180. Regards Al.

Last edited:
Hi Al,

Cheers well pleased with the outcome will try to turn right way round (mind your neck tho) will take a looksee at yours.

Hi Al,

Just looked at shiny shiny C180 looks great.
I have never heard of detailing before (must get out more) but sounds like a good idea trouble around here Fleetwood you get a load of a holes in the super market car park that hit yours, open doors on them and generally graze and scratch then take off with no thought for anyone else. But that's probably the same all over

Know what you mean I took the Mrs to Tesco on Fri night and found myself looking for an empty space way away from any other cars how sad is that:( . On the up side longer walk to and from shop so more well needed exercise :D.

^^:D

Upload your photos to Photobucket, edit them so they are rotated correctly, then upload them to the forum using the COPY function in Photobucket and pasting the URL into the image icon above your post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom