W204 C Class - knock and creak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickyquicky

Car
C350 cdi
Hello again guys

Done a 600 mile round trip this weekend through the snow which was actually pretty enjoyable, but spent enough time in the car to identify 2 minor issues i’d like to fix before next service.

1st one and more worrying is an intermittent clunk/ping noise which seems to happen when i start to move in reverse. Noticed it also sometimes happens if i accelerate or brake hard so seems related possibly to engine movement?

2nd one is when turning very slowly i get a faint ‘creaking’ through the steering wheel when i turn the wheel to either extreme. Its fine the first turn but when its about half a turn away from max theres a creak? Possibly normal? Or maybe a nackered bush twisting?

Any ideas or previous experience much appreciated!

Thanks
Rick

The torque control arms were replaced about 1000 miles ago, the symptons i got from that was steering wheel shaking when braking at high speed and a dull knock whwn low speed manouvering.

This is different it sounds more like metal to metal contact?

Does it if i accelerate and brake sharply around 20-30 mph too.

Top mounts sound like a possibility...

So top mounts possibly causing noise whilst turning.

Apart from torque control arms any other common causes for knock when braking hard or moving into reverse from forward/standstill?

does the clunk happen as you release the brakes to go backwards ? and there is a clunk when you brake hard?
Could well be pads moving in callipers, just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom