W204 c220 screaching noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grahamb1

Car
mercedes c class w204 2.1cdi
Hi all, basically when i go to full lock i get a screaching noise from the front of the car. A couple of days ago i put the a/c on and it done the same. Im presuming its the power steering pump thats on its way out ive checked the fluid and its fine. Tonight i took the aux belt off and turned all pullies and the PAS pully seems to click on rotation. My question is could it just be the pulley needing changed or will it be the pump aswel? If so how hard is it to change

When you at full lock you put great strain on the power steering system, its poor driving technique to keep the steering at full lock for more than a few seconds.
The noise you hear is the belt slipping.
Tony

I try not to hold it but where i live its tight so i have to occasionally. It wont do it if your doing 5mph+ though.

Either the belt, tensioner or both are due for replacement.

The tensioners guides have been changed in the past couple of month.

Check that the belt is running smooth at idle, if it's flapping around like crazy despite running true and in good tension then it might be the alternator pulley. They should lock up one way but freewheel the other. They can fail causing excessive vibration of the belt. Mine needed changing at about 100k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom