W204 c63 - gentle tapping through brake pedal when stationary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CeeSixtyThree

Car
C63
Hey all, I've recently picked up a 62 reg c63 with 40k on the clock and full history.

I've noticed that when I come to a complete stop and I have the break pedal pressed (such as at a traffic light) after a few seconds of being stationary I feel a light but annoying tapping sensation that vibrates up through the brake pedal. I can also feel the tapping through the steering wheel at the same time but this isn't so noticeable.

The tapping has no fixed rhythm (sometimes it taps once every 1-2 seconds, sometimes faster) but it always reliably occurs every time I come to a complete stop.

This is my first merc so I'm not sure if this is typical or not. All I know is it's annoying!

Can anyone advise? Many thanks Oli

Is it that feedback function? Someone was showing me their C350e the other day and he was saying it gives you feedback by tapping the brake pedal, so I'm just wondering if it's trying to tell you something like "let go of the pedal, and I'll hold the brakes for you".

Thanks for the reply! But unfortunately, its not the brake hold feature. The pattern/rhythm/intensity is so irregular that I doubt this would be a feature.

Little more info after this mornings commute - It doesn't happen when the car is in park, so seemingly only when a gear is engaged?

I'm going to take her for a long run this weekend and see if it happens after half an hour of driving, as so far I've only been able to do relatively short runs.

If anyone has got any more advise on other scenarios I can test please do share, no matter how trivial it my seem - I have almost zero technical knowledge when it comes to cars. :oops:

With an irregular tap like you're describing, I would be checking if the engine mountings are allowing excessive engine movement and something is hitting. Also, check all exhaust and gearbox mountings. I recently had a resonating noise that was due to the engine cover vibrating against something below it. Under the bonnet, check that all the clips/supports for the engine cover are intact.

It can be a bit of a high-risk situation, but sometimes these vibrations are worse when an automatic is pulling against the brakes when stationary, so it's worth checking with the engine running and the bonnet open and the car in gear. You will need to have someone select 'Drive' to allow this, so just make sure that you are on good terms with them!

Ernie

Even exhaust hangers are worth checking; if the exhaust is gently taping the ARB at certain engine speeds, then it will feel like the vibration comes from the axle and/or the entire floor.

Hey all, I've recently picked up a 62 reg c63 with 40k on the clock and full history.

I've noticed that when I come to a complete stop and I have the break pedal pressed (such as at a traffic light) after a few seconds of being stationary I feel a light but annoying tapping sensation that vibrates up through the brake pedal. I can also feel the tapping through the steering wheel at the same time but this isn't so noticeable.

The tapping has no fixed rhythm (sometimes it taps once every 1-2 seconds, sometimes faster) but it always reliably occurs every time I come to a complete stop.

This is my first merc so I'm not sure if this is typical or not. All I know is it's annoying!

Can anyone advise? Many thanks Oli
Hi Oli
Did this ever get resolved?I have the same with my car(same year)
Many thanks
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom