[W204] Calling All 4cyl Diesel Owners With Modified Exhausts!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maurauth

Car
2016 BMW M4 Convertible
Pre-facelift C250 CDI Blueefficiency owner here.

After chatting with a few users I've decided to go with a dual/quad exhaust change.

I'm looking for as much info about the different options and experiences people have had.

How did it sound- louder / deeper / raspier / less or more diesel sounding / louder turbo sound?

What did you have changed, the cat, second cat, the mid silencer, the DPF, or just back boxes?

Also, I've heard lots of conflicting info about whether you lose back pressure and if that matters on a diesel as much as on a petrol?

The options seem to be (please let me know if I have missed any):
CKS Performance AMG Replica
Powerflow Fabricated
Magnaflow Fabricated
EMP Fabricated
AMG OEM Replacement (EBay / Main Stealership)
Cobra Sport Rear Section
Supersprint Race

If anyone can just give even the shortest review of what they've had that would be so much help, I'm willing to travel nationally, and import parts if need be as I want the perfect exhaust!

I'm leaning towards the two Supersprint Race back boxes with quad AMG tips and a straight middle pipe fabricated, possibly de-cat/second de-cat so if anyone has that setup I would really appreciate their view!

Also, if anyone is local to Hampshire/surrounding counties and is willing to let me come and have a listen to theirs then I would really appreciate it and make it worth your while!

That's the sort of info I'm looking for, I'm hoping a good fabricator can make a bolt in/bolt out section to replace for MOT

With diesels the quicker you get rid of the exhaust pressure the better.

And if you are caught road side on an emissions test read on >>

https://www.gov.uk/emissions-testing

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Have either of you had non-OEM exhausts fitted by any chance on these diesel lumps? Or would have any insight on what sort of system would make it sound raspier and less tractor-like :)

Thanks for the info! Have either of you had non-OEM exhausts fitted by any chance on these diesel lumps? Or would have any insight on what sort of system would make it sound raspier and less tractor-like :)

Wouldn't it be easier if you changed your expectations. Because I doubt that the laws of physics will bend around the confines of a metal can.

I think that's a bit unfair, I've heard some nice sounding diesel lumps before from other marques, 4cyl ones. I was just hoping to gauge people's experiences who've done similar modifications.

Unfortunately this is the car, and has to last me, as I've gone through BMWs and MX-5s like no-one business (at least the Merc came with indicators :p)

I wish I could have had the C63 but at my age/situation, the insurance is prohibitive on anything quicker than the C250 CDI.

So it's the 4cyl diesel for me, I really need the exhaust options as it's insurance friendly and really makes the rear bumper stand out nicely compared to the single.

I would pull the trigger and check out various options myself, but as the Supersprint is going on £1400 without tips, the CKS being £850ish, Cobra being £400ish and the various custom fabrication options being £400-600, it's an expensive investigation to try out all the options!

I've seen quite a few videos of CKS and it sounds nice (considering the quality of the youtube video), and had PMs about the Supersprint system, but would love to know about the other possibilities.

Usually a decat pre and main allows enough gases to leave the turbo/s and head out to where you could tweak the rear end sound, you will struggle to get it "burbling" without the V8 diesel in there though :)

I made exhaust systems for years (from F1 to road cars), theres no such thing as back pressure as such, what it really is a reflection pulse that pushes a petro/air mix back into the engine just before the inlet cam closes (consider it 'free supercharging') the inlet valves....it only works at certain revs and it is dependent of the length of the exhaust, it DOES NOT WORK on any turboed engine, as the turbo (petrol or diesel) gets in the way of the return pulse..

Maurauth
You'll find the market for tuning parts for MB is small, especially recent diesels. Most people who buy them aren't bothered ir have got it out of their system already. The situation with the (proper) AMG is different, their preference for performance is much higer and they are willing to compromise in other areas, like comfort and running costs.

The most efficient way of making your car go faster is to get a quicker one in the first place or remap it. The 250CDI responds well I'm informed. Replacing it with a freer flow DPF may help. But really, the C series is not a "modders" car, it isn't in the "scene". Personally I believe trying to make it sound like a Honda with a cherrybomb isn't in keeping with the car and really isn't going to work with a mid capacity, 4 cylinder diesel as they don't like to rev and are more comfortable staying between 1500-3000 rpm.

As always, each to their own. Please post pictures & videos to prove me wrong.

Maurauth
You'll find the market for tuning parts for MB is small, especially recent diesels. Most people who buy them aren't bothered ir have got it out of their system already. The situation with the (proper) AMG is different, their preference for performance is much higer and they are willing to compromise in other areas, like comfort and running costs.

The most efficient way of making your car go faster is to get a quicker one in the first place or remap it. The 250CDI responds well I'm informed. Replacing it with a freer flow DPF may help. But really, the C series is not a "modders" car, it isn't in the "scene". Personally I believe trying to make it sound like a Honda with a cherrybomb isn't in keeping with the car and really isn't going to work with a mid capacity, 4 cylinder diesel as they don't like to rev and are more comfortable staying between 1500-3000 rpm.

As always, each to their own. Please post pictures & videos to prove me wrong.

I seem to be getting that opinion from a lot of people, the exhaust is purely because the single pipe just seems wrong. I'm looking to replace it with duals or quads so that it evens out the back of the car, and looks nicer.

I couldn't give a monkeys about performance gains from an exhaust, I just want to get the most for my money, I'm happy to drop the £1400 for SuperSprint, but if it's going to have the same look and sound as a £400 jobby then I guess that's what I'll go for.

I'm not looking to be a "modder" or part of a "scene", and I don't know what you men about "got it out of their system", surely at any age you want your car to look as nice as you can, seeing as how this is a forum for enthusiasts!

However, surely if all these companies produce products for this car, there must be a market for it and I would have thought some of the users of this forum may have used those companies and have an opinion of the work done.

EDIT: I'm not trying to prove you wrong, as I'm also looking for videos/pictures/testimonials myself, but here is an example of one of the options available, I'm just looking for more info about the others!

Here's a video of the CKS C250 CDI AMG-style Conversion (Ignore the faux-amg badge)

Last edited:
In that case I misunderstood your rationale. The comment about men getting it out of their system was not particularly directed at you - its was much about me ;-)

Any how, twin exhaust may be the easiest and cheapest option. Dual exit either side like the 6 cylinders will mean you'll need to get a new rear valance. I'm sure any competent exhaust fabricator can make the pipes for you. Quad pipes ? I wouldn't myself.

I'm not being flippant, let us know how you get on.

If you put the quad exhaust on then you will have to debadge the boot - come on there is no way a C250 is going to look cool with that system. The SLK200 looks bad enough with twin exhausts. It has to be 5 litres and above to suite a quad:thumb:

I'm not looking for a true quad system- it would be a Y pipe going to two rear silencers with either single or double tips on each side. The reason for quads is they look so nice, and the AMG diffuser with twin exits is designed to fit quad tips, duals would look silly with the massive gaps!

I've gone down the "any quality exhaust fabricator" route before with previous cars but they've never been as good as prestige companies. E.G. on my MX-5 I had a system built by Larini who normally make Lambo/Ferrari systems and it was orgasmic!

And rest assured, there are no C250, CDI and BlueEfficiency badges on my car.

A certain member told me he had the SuperSprint system costing £1400 on his C350CDI and it just didn't meet expectations, the only other companies that I've seen work by is CKS, however their reputation in the past is poor and well documented on this forum.

I made exhaust systems for years (from F1 to road cars), theres no such thing as back pressure as such, what it really is a reflection pulse that pushes a petro/air mix back into the engine just before the inlet cam closes (consider it 'free supercharging') the inlet valves....it only works at certain revs and it is dependent of the length of the exhaust, it DOES NOT WORK on any turboed engine, as the turbo (petrol or diesel) gets in the way of the return pulse..

I suggest you familiarize your self with Ricardo Wave,
if you made exhaust systems at such a high level your comment seems strange.

Back pressure on turbo charged engines affects EGT and is calculated in to the design of exhaust systems to control this effect.

You can safely remove exhaust parts and tune the engine accordingly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom