W204 Coupe Rear Self Rattle. Would this cure it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SmartMAC

Car
C250 CDI Sport Coupe AMG
I need to do something about this as it is driving me crazy. I have looked everywhere and I can only think it is the rear self making the noise, more specifically, the speaker/brake light covers vibrating.

I can see there is some insulating material just under the shelve so I was thinking to get some more similar stuff from b&q and put in there to stop it from vibrating.

Something like this:
attic-insulation-roll.jpg

Has anybody done this and cured the problem?

Thanks.

Thanks. I have read that but it does not give me a solution for the problem, just an indication on where it is coming from. Car is well out of guarantee and I have already asked MB to look into it during the last service but they could not find anything wrong???

Reading between the lines, it looks like stuffing some insulation material in there might sort the problem?

I'd use sponge, not any kind of fibreglass mat. The fibres can be shaken out and breathed.

Also be careful when adding padding sponge, etc that you're not insulating heat from anything like lights which then might overheat.

Household insulation material should be safe I would have guessed.

It's the same as what's in my loft, it's meant to be laid, and left alone. In a car it would constantly be being disturbed and vibrated. You're to wear a mask when installing it for that reason, and if there's a bright light, like a beam of sunlight, you can see all the fibres floating around!

It's the same as what's in my loft, it's meant to be laid, and left alone. In a car it would constantly be being disturbed and vibrated. You're to wear a mask when installing it for that reason, and if there's a bright light, like a beam of sunlight, you can see all the fibres floating around!

Ok. Thanks for that. I will look into alternatives then.

I need to do something about this as it is driving me crazy. I have looked everywhere and I can only think it is the rear self making the noise, more specifically, the speaker/brake light covers vibrating.

I have the same on mine. It is due to the vibration coming off the diesel engine.

Have to agree that it is really annoying and very hard to pin down the root cause.

I had another rattle in the car the other day and I hunted all over the rear of the car with help from the kids to find that it was the passenger side seatbelt rattling against the pillar when not in use. It was really hard to find the source.

Mercs should not rattle :crazy:

Are you sure that's the cause. My e saloon had this and when a mate grabbed the shelf in the back it stopped so I removed the shelf and packed it with sponge! This didn't work. I resigned myself to put up with it. Anyway I was cleaning the car and thought the boot rubber stops need adjusting to get the gaps around the boot symmetrical! Low and behold the noise has gone so it must of been boot lid wagging which made the shelf creak.

I am not sure what the problem is but I want it gone so yesterday I spent an hour with the seats folded and my head in the boot of my car. I bought some pipe insulating foam at 90p a metre. Used just one.

I stuffed it in under the speaker grille and third brake light from inside the boot. Not sure if this was the problem but just in case.
I also placed some Velcro around the rear seat release handle as it was vibrating against the metal.
Then, I discovered the anchor points for the baby seats behind the headrests. Made of cheap plastic, the cover rattles against the housing so more Velcro to the rescue.

I have just been out and the car is silent but it was kind of intermittent to start with so we'll see.
I'll report in a week or two to see how it goes, specially with the changes in temperature.

Last edited:
Its a "sponge" between rear light and shelf which overtime gets hard so what they did to mine was put liquid type sealant which is almost like rubber

Its a "sponge" between rear light and shelf which overtime gets hard so what they did to mine was put liquid type sealant which is almost like rubber

Did you have to remove the rear brake light or did you do it from the inside of the boot?

Any luck? I have a similar rattle but can't pin it down. I have to turn the radio up really loud to hide it!!!

Basic draught excluder may help.

Has anyone actually cured this rattle? I'm on the brink of getting rid of the car because of the rattle. And I love my car!!!!!!

Taff814 said:
Has anyone actually cured this rattle? I'm on the brink of getting rid of the car because of the rattle. And I love my car!!!!!!

There is a known fix for this rattle, if your car is under warranty book it in.

I've spoken to the dealers in Norwich and there doesn't appear to be any type of fix for this.
Maybe I'll just get rid of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom