W204 Coupe Rear Self Rattle. Would this cure it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mb Orpington and Guildford have a known fix its the brake light causing the rattle.

Quick update. I've spoken to the dealer in Guildford and they said they'd never heard of it. I have the car booked in for its B service next month with an Indie and they are going to have a look around for me. Its driving me mad!!! :wallbash::wallbash::mad::mad:

Its driving me mad too. The sun roof rattles too. It makes the car sound like a 20 year old banger.

Taff814 said:
Quick update. I've spoken to the dealer in Guildford and they said they'd never heard of it. I have the car booked in for its B service next month with an Indie and they are going to have a look around for me. Its driving me mad!!! :wallbash::wallbash::mad::mad:

I know for a fact Orpington have a fix for this issue.

Just check the boot is being supported by the rubber stops as this sorted mine but that was after weeks trying other stuff even shelf out .Only thing cured it was adjusting boot stops.

Streethawk, how difficult is it to get the shelf out? The rattle sounds internal rather than the boot lid, however I will check the stops.
The_Don, I must admit I only phoned Guildford. I shall try Orpington when they open today.
Thanks to you both for your replies.

Streethawk, how difficult is it to get the shelf out? The rattle sounds internal rather than the boot lid, however I will check the stops.
The_Don, I must admit I only phoned Guildford. I shall try Orpington when they open today.
Thanks to you both for your replies.

On my e quite simple. You drop seats then remove side panels where seat belt goes through then pull shelf towards you. Be careful not to break the clips holding the side panels. Mine also sounded internal. I was amazed the stops cured it.

Well, I've adjusted the 4 rubber boot stops and the rattle has nearly gone!!!!! Just a matter of tweaking them. I only get a noise of the roughest of roads now (plenty of them in Norfolk) and the radio covers them. Chuffed!!!!

Well, I've adjusted the 4 rubber boot stops and the rattle has nearly gone!!!!! Just a matter of tweaking them. I only get a noise of the roughest of roads now (plenty of them in Norfolk) and the radio covers them. Chuffed!!!!

Told you

I had the same problem, source of the rattle came from the rear brake light, solved the problem with a £1 car wash sponge from ASDA, inserted it in the space between the rear shelf and the metal cross panel accessed from the boot, the middle of the cross panel has a hole big enough for your hand to wedge the sponge in there and with a bit of trial and error the rattle should stop. I was careful not to wedge it in too much as to not press the rear brake light against the rear glass.

Its driving me mad too. The sun roof rattles too. It makes the car sound like a 20 year old banger.

Sunroof rattles can often be solved by lubrication, the merc stuff isn’t cheap though, £27 for a little bottle(it’s mould resistant apparently) but it did the trick on mine.

I too have this issue on my C220 Coupe, its only now and again so I will be checking my boot lid, thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom