W204 Glovebox is broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

et0609

Car
E350d
The glovebox in my 2008 C Class hasnt worked properly for ages and I need to get it fixed. As my car is with the dealer just now for another bit I asked them to look at the glovebox. They wanted £800 to fit a new one so I have politely declined.

The problem is that instad of the lid gliding open like it should, it drops down and falls out.

Im not sure if its just the lid or the whole glovebox unit, but whichever it is, I can pick up a used one on eBay for about £80.

Does anyone know how to remove the glovebox unit completely? Also, can the lock be swapped so I can keep the original key?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I'm not sure if its anything like the W211 glovebox, but if it is and has a damper unit also, it could be that it has just come undone and needs re-attaching, see my post in this thread:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/interior/53693-glovebox-dampening-w211.html

Thanks for that post, I'll check that before I get a new one. It will be interesting to see if the damper unit has come undone because MB told me a needed a whole new unit.

Think about it, what would you need to have done to require replacement of a glovebox? Clearly the damper has slipped off, I can't imagine any parts are required at all.

I'm still in shock about the £800 quote are MB taking the piss or what?

Yes I know they get a good mark up from commercial/insurance repairs but come on!

W203 Glove box falling down and out.

I had exactly the same problem on my old 2003 C180 Compressor. A new damper unit will need to be bought and fitted. My local Indie Mercedes garage ordered a new glovebox lining and fitted it , cost £110, this includes a new damper, and several hours labour.
I asked for the old one back, Anthacite in colour, inspected it and found nothing wrong with it, I took it back to show them, they completly agreed, I couldn't afford to have my car off the road for a second day, so I left the new glove box lining in, so my old glovebox lining is laying in my garage, waiting for dispersal.
A lesson in life don't believe every thing a garage tell you, they make mistakes too!

I too can't see how the glovebox can need replacing, and lol @ £800 for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom