W204 - Mercedes Universal Media Interface

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richard

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
MY04 SL55
Good news for those of you with the new C class with Audio-20 who want sat nav.

Mercedes is a few weeks away from releasing the 'Universal Media Interface'

This is an add on to the W204 Audio-20, which then gives
Navigation - using the colour Audio-20 display, with TMC
iPod interface with control/track-display on the Audio-20 *
USB interface (for MP3 memory sticks)
Aux input (3.5mm)
Audio Streaming via Bluetooth from compatable devices (such as Nokia N95)

It looks *really* nice, and of course I will write a retrofit document

No idea of pricing at all yet i'm afraid. But expect it not to be cheap :) But more competitive via comandonline than MB UK i'd hope.

I have managed to get a set of input cables, so I guess it really is close to be released.

Richard

* Supported iPod, Generation 3 (doesnt charge), Generation 4, photo, mini, U2, nano, video, classic, touch, iPhone

Thanks, sounds very interesting.
If I have read your post correctly it appears to say that the iPod display is shown via the in dash screen rather than in the multifunction display in the instrument cluster.
If that’s correct it sounds like a big improvement on the standard iPod integration kit. Would that mean that we could expect similar functionality to be added to the full command package in the W204 ?

Thanks, sounds very interesting.
If I have read your post correctly it appears to say that the iPod display is shown via the in dash screen rather than in the multifunction display in the instrument cluster.
If that’s correct it sounds like a big improvement on the standard iPod integration kit. Would that mean that we could expect similar functionality to be added to the full command package in the W204 ?

Yes, its all controlled and displayed via the comand screen.

I dont think it will be on the existing COMAND on W204 yet. Technically, its very very different

I also think there will be a very significant difference between the standard iPod kit and the MUMI device (3-4 times so as a part, and a significantly different labour time to install - but only when I have a price will I really have a clue)

RIchard

Good news for those of you with the new C class with Audio-20 who want sat nav.

Mercedes is a few weeks away from releasing the 'Universal Media Interface'
I first heard about the UMI back in October/November last year but since then all has been quiet so many thanks for the update. Do you have a W204 to do the first install on, yet? Depending upon the price, mine could be available ;)

I first heard about the UMI back in October/November last year but since then all has been quiet so many thanks for the update. Do you have a W204 to do the first install on, yet? Depending upon the price, mine could be available ;)

Not yet but we hope to have them soon. Thanks for the offer, we will certainly consider it.

We do have a W204 comand unit though:cool: We plan to do some testing with it with a view to offering retrofits for it. Mind you all the well heeled members here seem to be ordering their cars with it already:(

Is there any updated news about this interface for the W204 ? .

Hi Richard,
Have you received any further information regarding the UMI ?
I am even more curious now that my W204 has been delivered as there is a section in the command APS manual covering the operation of the Media Interface. I'm not certain if this is a new section or not though.

For Command APS the system seems to support 3.5mm jack plug as per standard delivery + iPod & USB sockets.
The display of information, especialy iPod via the command screen rather than in the instrument clusters looks like a vast improvement in terms of readability and selection (in fact what the iPod integration should really have been all along).

Although a new delivery and information in the manual referencing the Media Interface, my car does not show the option in the command display of have the other interace leads mentioned, so seems to have the original iPod kit. Which is what I ordered so no suprise really.

What would be interesting though is to understand if the hardware is really different or if its really a SW and coding upgrade which could be enabled ?

Rgds

Not sure if this helps/hinders or completely not relevant, but on the buyacar.co.uk site under the options for a W204 it has...

Mercedes Audio 20 radio/single CD with colour display £ 0
8 speakers £ 0
Media interface (from 01-Oct-2008 ) £ 140
6 CD/MP3 changer £ 245
DAB digital radio module £ 320
Harman/Kardon logic 7 surround sound system £ 560
Audio 50 radio/6 CD/MP3 + DVD navigation system with TMC and linguatronic £ 995

..of note is the date next to media interface??

Love this picture - the devices look like they're hiding!

GLK+Universal+Media+Interface+%283%29.jpg

Also just found this
Thanks for the link. I suspect that this is what we're waiting to be released for the W204. Interesting retrofit kit price in Germany - EUR 1099.00 + fitting. Wonder what the price will be in the UK? Any betting on GBP 999.00 + fitting? :rolleyes:

Hi all, ive had a play with my iphone on the new comand in the brand new SL and its A LOT better and easier to use, artists, albums and tracks are simple to navigate through with the bigger screen its just like the ipod. However i was using the media interface that is factory fit option on the new vehicles.
As for the retrofit w204 system there are 2 different ones, for cars with and without sound system (code 810). As with the ipod kit i would think the one without sound system would have an amplifier inbuilt.

With sound system retail £875.79
Without sound system retail £(no price yet but same cost)

And it will work with the new GLK when it comes out.

With sound system retail £875.79
Without sound system retail £(no price yet but same cost)
Thanks for the info, Gareth. Is that the retail price including VAT? Also, do you have an availability date and could you post the part numbers, please?

Phil, yes the prices are including vat.
part nos are A2048705194 With code 810
A2048705896 Without code 810

Part no's are subject to change so please dont quote me on them just yet, until they are released for sale.

Cheers

Phil, yes the prices are including vat.
part nos are A2048705194 With code 810
A2048705896 Without code 810

Part no's are subject to change so please dont quote me on them just yet, until they are released for sale.

Cheers

This is an old thread already but I was looking at some universal media interface info and did not find much more than this thread.

The part numbers above are confusing to me because the German price list only mentions part number A204 870 5194 for the W204, nothing mentioned about 810. Also EPC does not list either of the part even if these are A-classified. I guess because these do not come with the car from the factory.

I see Comand Online sells UMI at about £800, W204 Comand units with the display are available at wide price range from eBay, I doubt all sellers are trustworthy, what would be a fair price for a Comand retrofit kit?

It is a bit difficult to find accurate info about the UMI but I interpret Linguatronic being only available with Comand and Audio 50 APS? I assume the W204 voice control being as good as it can be on an MB today, including Navigation control?

Hi,

The part no a204 870 5194 is only for cars WITH the surround sound option.
However if your car doesn't have this option then you need part no a204 870 5896

These are ready available right now at £799 FITTED.
We had a german accessory chap round last week showing us all the features of it and ive got to say I was impressed.
To buy parts only your looking at £630.00 inc vat.
However i would hold on for a couple of weeks until the dedicated UK version comes out with 7 digit postcode.
We did hear a whisper off the accessory guy that if you fit the ECE one thats out now (5 digit postcode) then there will be a free upgrade to UK 7 digit postcode eventually.

I had a loan W204 last week when my car went in for a service recently. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was fitted with the UMI.

A great piece of kit, I really liked the iPod integration although I didn't try / couldn't see how the Navigation function worked (or whether it was enabled on the car). The car only had 250 miles on the clock :D

Anymore info on this? Im looking to buy a new W204 as a company car, and im hoping to retrofit the UMI, (so i can remove it and sell it in 3 years time:p).

Can digital radio be added to this easily, or should i spec that with the car?

Cheers for any info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom