W204 - Suspension knock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SMB77

Car
08 C320 CDI Sport
Hi all,

I have just replaced the two front shocks on my W204 C320 - one was completely knackered and the other wasn't far behind..

Now there is a knocking sound from front right - not noticeable when going over speed bumps, but noticeable if on a bumpy road..

Had car back at mechanic, he has taken apart entire suspension, looked at everything and tested with lever but cannot spot anything..

Any help? I have read about the LCA, but would he know to look at it that it could be knackered..

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Hmm
Where did the shocks come from?
The fact you say it's noticeable on bumpy ground suggests a damping issue ( which 204's are known for)

The shocks were 2 new Monroe electronic gas shocks which I sourced froma motor factors in Germany..

So the damping issue you mention - what would be the tell tale signs? What normally gets replaced?

Just to add - there is no noise if I drive over a speed bump and the shocks compress and release.. But if I was driving along a road and there was a small lip or significant change if surface, there would be a knock..

From what you have described I would say the legs (shocks), or maybe mounts?
Not really much else going to effect it.
Ball joint will knock, bushes will give a lot of feedback especially over bumps but..
Dampers and mounts will really give bad feedback over rough ground. You won't physically find play etc in components

The mechanic still has the old bust shock - so we're going to put that back into the car, see if the noise is still there with the different shock and go from there..

He seems convinced that because the noise was not there pre the new shock that could be it causing the problems..

Hi WG M-B,
When you say W204 are known for dampers, what are the problems please? My W204 seems to have a very choppy ride which isn't bouncy like worn shocks but just not as smooth as my old W202. As it's an elegance model with comfort setting, I expected the ride to be smoother than it is.

Still no further forward - fella coming to view my car this evening to buy it, gonna knock £500 off the asking price and let it go if he is interested..

Bloody cars!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom