W204 (The new C class) quality problems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
The title is self explanatory in a way. The new C class (w204) has now been with us for quite some time and the new E class is imminent. These are the first completely new models to hit the streets since Mercedes "change of heart" on self admitted quality issues :eek: in which they promised to banish problems of the past. I have heard very little in criticism of the new C class which is good news indeed.:thumb: Maybe their highly publicised digital testing at the design stage and millions of miles of road testing has paid off to produce a "bullet proof merc" once more.:rock: It would be interesting to hear of W204 owners experience of this new-ish car since very little "long term" test data has appeared in print so far. Or maybe I havn't found it.:doh: Maybe no news is good news??:dk:

Last edited:
I've had my C320CDi Elegance for 18 months and have done less than 6000 miles in that time, so my experience is limited as regards long term reliability.

Nothing has gone wrong, never had to top up the oil and the car feels as good as it was on the day I bought it. So in my experience the car has been faultless.:thumb:

I see a lot of these cars come through the workshop, and almost never with any issues. The odd door lock fault or software updating required, but thats it.

I got 7800 miles on 1 year old very soon and 30 days to first service but a faultless car and still quick as anything love it

Merc quality did take a nosedive, and maybe it's now improved, but partly at least, I blame the internet.
For perceived quality of a brand, rather than actual quality - it's far easier now to get mud to stick - anyone can complain to everyone about their car falling to bits.
You used to have to write a letter to a car mag, or newspaper, and get lucky with publishing it, or wear a sandwich board outside your dealer - now with the click of a mouse you can reach the world.
For every friday afternoon car, there'll be loads running around fault-free - but with the internet, those who are unhappiest are loudest.
To be fair, introducing water-based paint, new steel pressing theories and half-baked electrical gadgets all at once, together with accountants getting ideas above their station didn't help Mercedes either :doh:
From what I've read on the internet :) you're right - things are much better.

I have my w204 200 CDI avantgarde full options for a 13 months now, I've done 40.000 km(around 25.000 miles) and I had no problems at all...

or wear a sandwich board outside your dealer -
Wow, that line brough back a memory from my past! My first job from school was with Lancia England, when they were based in Alperton, Wembley. My job was as a PR assistant and the first duty they thrust on this 18 year old newbie was to deal with a guy who bought his Lancia Beta Coupe just 3 months before and it was peppered in rust holes! He'd decided his best course of action was to drive the car right up to the office entrance (on the pavement) and stand with his car and a sandwhich board stating "this car is 3 months old and a total rust bucket" or words to that effect!! Was my job to resolve his issues!! If my memory serves me right, we eventually bought the car back, but not 'till we'd exhausted every other option including a replacement car which un-surprisingly he rejected out of hand! LOL!! Seems like a lifetime ago, but instances like this all over the UK were what led to the demise of Lancia (and almost FIAT and Alfa) here of course!

I had a courtesy car for one day ... while I had my CL inspected once more.
It was a C200 CDI with only 1000miles on the clock.
One fault generated and that was the automatic lights sensor ... it decided to go faulty and displayed on the dashboard.... this made the lights to be permanent on... tried to switch off the engine in case it goes off ... it did not.
It has gonne off a couple of hours later by it self.
It seems to be the gremlin is still there well hidden away.

Either wise this car felt great... :) nice solid drive and not creaking or noises.
I would prefer it to be less plasticky interior ... however the plastic was a great quality.

:)

Nearly 1 year and 5000 miles.

Car perfect 100% - :D

Dealers crap 10% - :wallbash:

M.

Several people have written on forums that they've had unfixable drive-train vibration on W204 C220's (with 5 speed auto box).

This is an odd issue as I'm not aware this occurs on W203. One poster reckons they detuned his car after the last torque convertor change, but the W203 C270 (which I have) is the same power output as the latest C220 so it seems unlikely that it should be a power issue.

To slightly deviate from the thread title..........
Exactly WHEN did the MB quality issue turn round?
Specifically I refer to the C Class W203 model.
Is there a date or model number where one can definitively point too and say models BEFORE this date had quality issues - and models produced AFTER this date did not.
I realise that the facelift revision is a tempting point in time that could be used as a reference, but is that correct? Or was that point before or after facelift production?
Sorry if that seems a little rambling, but I hope you know what I mean.

Love the way a C300 in the entry-level car in the US and it's about the same price as a C180 is here. :mad:

Cars are offered and priced at whatever the local marketplace will stand.
Clearly the UK is still seen as a cash cow by many vehicle producers. Mercedes being no different to all other brands.

as a class owner of all models; 7 to date[upto 30000a year], no previous probs. retired and bought latest w204[demonstrater @6000] Sept. 2007
one word - rubbish [c180semanual]
interior trim loose and badly fitted
bonnet paint soft [ was clear and have only done 7000 steady miles] - how many chips do you want?
water pump, pulleys and airbox chewed themselves at 12000
now low coolant light showing [car now done 13500 - not a hard life]
like driving a vintage car - mobile, cash in wallet and warm clothes taken every journey.
at least my Defender has a stab at getting me there and is fun !!
my next car, probably soon - Lexus? or any other suggestions

add- w204 no side rubbing strips - do not park in a car park - never a problem before , now Dent Wizard [ is the metal thinner on the doors on the w204?]

Cars are offered and priced at whatever the local marketplace will stand.
Clearly the UK is still seen as a cash cow by many vehicle producers. Mercedes being no different to all other brands.

But the list prices are basically fiction for many models.

Friend just bought a new, supposedly £11K small car, for just under £7K.

Oops!

Sad to see that the new Blue Efficiency injector issue covered in greater detail here-- http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/77050-blue-efficiency-injector-recall.html --is damaging the C class and new E class reputation for reliability once more. You would have thought MB would have learned their lesson about cutting quality by now. :doh: Such is the complexity of modern cars that billion Deutsche Mark development programmes count for nothing if you don't get the fundamental engineering philosophy right.:(

But the list prices are basically fiction for many models.

Friend just bought a new, supposedly £11K small car, for just under £7K.

that's an incredible deal. was scrappage involved?

would be interested in some more detail.

that's an incredible deal. was scrappage involved?

would be interested in some more detail.

VW Polo. Model is being updated.

Partex was generous (IMO) too.

Now me being a cynic I wonder what the final deal would have looked like with scrappage involved. (... I reckon a bit over £8K).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom