W205 amg paint quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fordgt40

Car
C63 AMG estate
Does anybody know how thick the paint should be on the W205, looking at it in certain light it is very 'orange peel', I measured the thickness of the panel over the rear wheels on the C post and over the doors on both sides and roof is 28 microns, the rest of the car is 150 ish, I'm asured by the dealer that's how it left the factory and can't do anything about it, can anybody shed light on the figures I'm getting, the car is an ex demo w205 AMG.

I know I should have noticed when I bought the car but it was parked outside and it was raining, I assumed it OK being from a main dealer, it's the worst paint finish I've ever seen on a new car, as you can imagine I'm very disappointed.

If you have purchased from new and the finish is so poor that it doesn't or cannot meet your expectations you could threaten to reject it. I doubt the dealers are empowered to do much and you wouldn't really want them to try and correct it. you may benefit from getting an independent assessment and views as to whether it can be viablycorrected or not.

It sucks that a premium brand freqently lets cars go out to market with such poor QA.

Can you speak directly with MB UK?

Sounds like a real nightmare hope it gets sorted

They've all been like this, you aren't the first to mention on here and certainly won't be the last unfortunately

Just seems to be a thing on the new cars, very noticeable in the showroom especially. Was in my local MB on Friday and they're all like that

They're all like it, not just Mercedes, but all the German brands.

It's only when you step up to Bentley and Aston Martin level will the car be wet sanded and polished before it leaves the factory.

I paid for Designo Paint on our SL (a £5,750 option) and there is obvious orange peel in the finish.

I've seen a brand new S65 Coupe and S63 Coupe with apalling paint quality.

The reality is, most people simply don't see it and it's not something complained about enough for any of the big manufacturers to address.

It irritates me on our SL, but whilst we live in a house that doesn't have a garage I just live with it.

Once we move and I get some enclosed parking, it's reasonably likely I'll get the SL wet sanded to address the problem because the car is a keeper for us.

Last edited:
Wet sanding looks like an option but I shouldn't have to do that and I think the paint thickness on the rear is too thin, what I can't understand why one panel is showing 28, move the test meter 2" onto another panel and it's showing 150, I'm very suspicious as to how this happened, I assume the cars are sprayed with all the panels in place.

fordgt40 said:
Wet sanding looks like an option but I shouldn't have to do that and I think the paint thickness on the rear is too thin, what I can't understand why one panel is showing 28, move the test meter 2" onto another panel and it's showing 150, I'm very suspicious as to how this happened, I assume the cars are sprayed with all the panels in place.

Different materials for different panels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom