Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RonFleet

Car
Volvo XC40
My C220's Audio 20 system hung yesterday, about 20 minutes into a journey. The display screen on the centre console was frozen, nothing changed (time/radio information/heater information, etc.). The heater controls operated, but did not display the changes on the screen. The NAVI, MENU, RADIO, MEDIA, TEL, and System buttons on the centre console did nothing. The phone wouldn't work. The radio controls didn't work, although the radio continued playing.

I stopped the car when it was safe to do so, switched off the ignition and removed the key. The centre console display screen remained on. I got out of the car and locked the doors, at which point the screen went off.

I opened the car, inserted the key and the screen lit up but the controls were still frozen.

I switched off again, locked the car and left it for 15 minutes and then tried again. This time it was working, so I continued my journey.

On the way back, the problem repeated itself.

I was going to book it in at the dealer, but it's been OK today.

Anyone experienced similar symptoms? If so, was it a temporary glitch that resolved itself, or was a visit to the dealer required?

Yep, exact same issue.
Software flash required.
I would contact a dealer, mine has been fine since being flashed :)

Yep, exact same issue.
Software flash required.
I would contact a dealer, mine has been fine since being flashed :)
Thanks for replying. I'll contact my dealer and get it booked in. These things are irritating. We want the fancy gizmos in our cars (well, some of us do) and then they break. Never mind - an excuse for a day taking photos around Guildford.

Going in to Sandown Mercedes in Guildford tomorrow. When I phoned to book the appointment they immediately said it needed the software to be flashed and to leave it with them for several hours.

Sorted :)

Thanks for replying. I'll contact my dealer and get it booked in. These things are irritating. We want the fancy gizmos in our cars (well, some of us do) and then they break. Never mind - an excuse for a day taking photos around Guildford.

Hi Ron I gather that M/B Guildford were able to sort this for you. Could you give me some idea of the cost. I seem to have exactly the same problem on my C200 Sport which is just a couple of weeks out of warranty, although sods law, today it has been OK.
Cheers
John

Hi John,

They did it under warranty, so I didn't have to pay anything. It's got to be worth having a friendly chat with your M-B dealer and see if he'll fix it as a goodwill gesture. I suspect it doesn't actually require much of an engineer's time - just set it up and leave it until it's finished, perhaps (I could be talking utter tripe, of course). Good luck.

My C220's Audio 20 system hung yesterday, about 20 minutes into a journey. The display screen on the centre console was frozen, nothing changed (time/radio information/heater information, etc.). The heater controls operated, but did not display the changes on the screen. The NAVI, MENU, RADIO, MEDIA, TEL, and System buttons on the centre console did nothing. The phone wouldn't work. The radio controls didn't work, although the radio continued playing.

I stopped the car when it was safe to do so, switched off the ignition and removed the key. The centre console display screen remained on. I got out of the car and locked the doors, at which point the screen went off.

I opened the car, inserted the key and the screen lit up but the controls were still frozen.

I switched off again, locked the car and left it for 15 minutes and then tried again. This time it was working, so I continued my journey.

On the way back, the problem repeated itself.

I was going to book it in at the dealer, but it's been OK today.

Anyone experienced similar symptoms? If so, was it a temporary glitch that resolved itself, or was a visit to the dealer required?
Hi John,

They did it under warranty, so I didn't have to pay anything. It's got to be worth having a friendly chat with your M-B dealer and see if he'll fix it as a goodwill gesture. I suspect it doesn't actually require much of an engineer's time - just set it up and leave it until it's finished, perhaps (I could be talking utter tripe, of course). Good luck.
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply Ron. It has now gone 2 days with no problem at all, so it may have been a temporary glitch,fingers crossed. Anyway if it happens again I will take steps to get it rectified, either at Brooklands who do my servicing, or if they want silly money I have discovered a firm in Lightwater called command .co.uk who are apparently S/hot at all this sort of stuff. All a bit annoying as I will probably be buying a new one shortly, face lifted model available very soon.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

It might be worth asking Brooklands to log the problem in case it reappears.

I bought my current car, a one year old C200, from Brooklands just under a year ago and opted for the maintenance contract. I was very impressed with the professionalism of the sales staff and hope that the service folks are just as good. The first service under the contract is a B Service at the beginning of March. A major benefit of having the car serviced at M-B Brooklands is that the museum is a few minutes' walk away (assuming the travellers have left by then).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom