W205 C CLASS FRONT SPRING LINK BALL JOINT FAILED AT 21000 MILES?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Forestier

Car
W205 C200 AMG PREMIUM PLUS AUTO ESTATE
My car was out of warranty on 26th September 2017.

I had it serviced on 30th October and car was returned with an advisory "O/S/F Spring Link squeal when turning, further diag. required (due: 30/01/2018) - £156"

On handover, the advisory was pointed out but without much explanation and I was stupid enough not to push for more information.

Yesterday the squeal became audible to me for the first time, not that loud but clearly heard with the window down & when steering wheel turned.

Is it acceptable that a ball joint wears out after only 21,000 miles on a three year old car?

I am waiting for a price from Mercedes Southampton, it seems that the £156 is just for them to carry out a more detailed diagnosis. That seems a bit steep or will it require more that putting on a ramp & levering the joint to check for play?

Not happy, (again).

Just had a call back, £590.94 plus whatever the diagnosis costs.

Positively miserable now!

They say there may be grounds for a goodwill gesture from Mercedes but I will see what Indy Garage Pentangle MB in Southampton say.

I wouldn't see it as acceptable and the MB costs seem outrageous. I wouldn't darken their door ever again. An indie should be much cheaper unless MB's goodwill is going to cover most of the costs.

Should definitely be covered on goodwill at that age and mileage, not impressed if not. Also not impressed that it's failed, indeed am a little concerned for our car.
I'd also find an indy to put it right if MB don't play nice (and if they don't I wouldn't be going back). No way it should cost you £600 to replace a ball joint.

Is it acceptable that a ball joint wears out after only 21,000 miles on a three year old car?......

They say there may be grounds for a goodwill gesture from Mercedes but I will see what Indy Garage Pentangle MB in Southampton say.

It's reasonable to assume that on a new car, well maintained with minimum miles covered that a ball joint should last more than 20k miles is it not?

I'm assuming the car has always been main dealer serviced?

If so I'd be wanting a hefty contribution from them towards the repair cost.

Just spoke to Rebecca in Mercedes Benz UK customer service department.

She said a contribution was a possibility but I will need to pay the cost of diagnosis.

It will be a gamble as I am sure they will say, as I have had 21000 miles use from the part, they won't cover the full cost.

Just phoned Pentangle, £260 fitted. It takes an hour and fitting may be possible this afternoon!

Just spoke to Rebecca in Mercedes Benz UK customer service department.

She said a contribution was a possibility but I will need to pay the cost of diagnosis.

It will be a gamble as I am sure they will say, as I have had 21000 miles use from the part, they won't cover the full cost.

Just phoned Pentangle, £260 fitted. It takes an hour and fitting may be possible this afternoon!
Unbelievable from MB, quite disappointing to say the least.
Pretty sure I'd be doing the Indy route myself.

Depends on which ball joint has gone. Some are more difficult to replace than others. I think the upper one is integral with the upper suspension arm and comes as one unit The lower arm has a lot more attached to it [ e.g. suspension strut] so would be more difficult to replace. Diagnosis wise AFAIK there are at least three ball joints associated with the front suspension and possibly another associated with the anti roll bar. I assume diagnosis will be to find out which one is the culprit? Perhaps your indy is gambling on it being a particular one based on experience. If it isn't then further work may be required at additional cost? MB may just be covering themselves? :dk:

I had a lower front suspension bush fail on my CLS with just 21k on it , luckily it was replaced under their approved used warranty as it was integral to the arm and would have cost me over £300. The following year i was informed that the rubber boot on the balljoint was split on the another arm on the same side and the rubber bush was not available on its own so that will be £300 sir , thank you very much.

I am 100% convinced that they damaged the second arms boot whilst replacing the first arm the previous year , but as usual i cant prove it.

Seems to be yet another continuing "trait" on the MB range , suspension that is built down to a price.

Kenny

This is terrible. Daughter's SEAT Ibiza failed MOT at 4yrs/30K miles due to a torn lower arm bush and SEAT covered the cost. And VAG generally are poor at goodwill.

I always wonder why the usual Sale of Goods act stuff about durability never seems to work with cars.

Just back from Pentangle MB.

New 'Offside Front Spring Link Control Arm' fitted.

Excellent service, part in from MB Milton Keynes yesterday & fitted in 1 hour while I waited.

Invoice: Labour £52 - Part £164 - Castellated Nut £1.45 - Plus VAT total was £260.94.

I decided not to ask for an MB goodwill contribution as it was a gamble on how much they would pay and I had to commit before knowing.

How they can charge £156 inspection, (though they said this "might be less if diagnosis is quicker than expected"), plus £590.94 to supply and fit the part is beyond reasonable.

I get the commercial imperatives that allow a small outfit to charge less than a mega operator.

I expect to pay more for the supposed security of mind when using a main dealer but a price gap of this magnitude?

I love this car but not being taken for a mug by MB!

Maybe it's time for a change.

PS Sorry about the 'all in capitals' title for the post, caps lock cockup.

Good result in the end. Disappointing from MB though.

How they can charge £156 inspection, (though they said this "might be less if diagnosis is quicker than expected"), plus £590.94 to supply and fit the part is beyond reasonable.

I get the commercial imperatives that allow a small outfit to charge less than a mega operator.

I expect to pay more for the supposed security of mind when using a main dealer but a price gap of this magnitude?

It could be a mistake on the part of the dealer - that does seem too big a difference.

Having said that the dealer I used for 10 years on my car was always pretty good on pricing - until the last time I went, and they found a number of things that "needed" doing and quoted insane prices for the work.

You didn't answer if this has always been main dealer serviced?

Yep, looked after by MB Southampton.

Had 3 door handle leds replaced at different times.
Front side windows replaced with acoustic glass due to wind noise problem.
Collision prevention sensor replaced after car went into limp home mode.
Whilst in France 18 months ago, locking system completely failed, could only get access using Mercedes Me app.
All above fixed under warranty.
Now the spring link at my cost.
Still the best allround car I have ever owned but a lot of niggly problems in 21000 miles.

I'm surprised the main dealer wouldn't had at the very least diagnosed this properly then!

At 21k miles this is nothing, they have had all the service costs, been reimbursed by MB for the warranty work so quite surprising they wouldn't have stepped up to the mark.

I'd have pushed them on it though.

I had a lower front suspension bush fail on my CLS with just 21k on it , luckily it was replaced under their approved used warranty as it was integral to the arm and would have cost me over £300. The following year i was informed that the rubber boot on the balljoint was split on the another arm on the same side and the rubber bush was not available on its own so that will be £300 sir , thank you very much.

I am 100% convinced that they damaged the second arms boot whilst replacing the first arm the previous year , but as usual i cant prove it.

Seems to be yet another continuing "trait" on the MB range , suspension that is built down to a price.

Kenny

I know this is an old thread but I've just had the same thing from the indie I use - they replaced upper bush as failed when they did MOT, now at service they've noted the same arm ball joint cover is split. I asked about replacing the rubber itself and they said nope. Bit of research shows you can buy assorted size balljoint rubbers in packs - there are trade suppliers of them.

My car was out of warranty on 26th September 2017.

I had it serviced on 30th October and car was returned with an advisory "O/S/F Spring Link squeal when turning, further diag. required (due: 30/01/2018) - £156"

On handover, the advisory was pointed out but without much explanation and I was stupid enough not to push for more information.

Yesterday the squeal became audible to me for the first time, not that loud but clearly heard with the window down & when steering wheel turned.

Is it acceptable that a ball joint wears out after only 21,000 miles on a three year old car?

I am waiting for a price from Mercedes Southampton, it seems that the £156 is just for them to carry out a more detailed diagnosis. That seems a bit steep or will it require more that putting on a ramp & levering the joint to check for play?

Not happy, (again).

Just had a call back, £590.94 plus whatever the diagnosis costs.

Positively miserable now!

Was the car in front of you.........a Toyota ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom