W205 Coupe Bonnet Defect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slostuk

Car
W205
I have recently taken delivery of a 2017 W205 Coupe, a few hours after I took delivery I noticed what appeared to be a small dent on bonnet, it is very subtle and only noticeable in specific lighting conditions. The car is a UK model standard right hand drive, the defect is about 10 - 15 down from the windscreen on the drivers side close to where the bonnet meets the front wing.

I reported this to Mercedes Benz I was then informed by the supplying retailer that they had inspected the other models on site and that this was a manufacturing characteristic.

To me a manufacturing characteristic that results in a panel appearing to be dented sounds more like a manufacturing defect, so much for "the best or nothing".

I was wondering if any other W205 Coupe or Cab owners had noticed the same?

I asked the office of Mr Savage for a response however no response or acknowledgment was received :fail:fail.

I believe that the w205 bonnet is made of aluminium, which is more prone to imperfections than sheet metal.

You can seek advice from a paintless dent removal (PDR) firm, they may be able to 'iron it out' (more difficult with aluminium but not impossible), though if they can then the issue Will obviusly be who pays for it.

Last edited:
I bkeuve the w205 bonnet us made of aluminium, which is more prone to imperfections than sheet metal.

You can take advice from a paintless dent removal (PDR) firm, they may be able to iron it out (more difficult with aluminium but not impossible), though if they can then the issue Will obviusly be who pays for it.

That's interesting thanks, the strange thing is apparently only the Coupe's and Cab's are affected, the saloons and estates are OK as are the AMG Coupe's.

I would be inclined (it's a pain I know) to visit a local showroom and see if they have any other models with same "characteristic".

You could always phone a few in advance to ask if they have any in stock. Maybe save a wasted journey.

The issue with things like this: Once seen, they cannot be un-seen. You will need to get this sorted in your head as much as in the workshop. If you know it is the same on all cars, fine. If not, you can get it repaired.

It may be that as Markjay says. Even if it is a characteristic, you could have it pulled out to your satisfaction.

Let me know where this is so I can see if its on mine as well.

The local dealership have informed me that all the Coupe's and Cab on site have the same characteristic, I have seen a few "in the wild" and many of these appear however not to be subject to this characteristic. I have seen one other "in the wild" that also appears to be affected but not to the same degree. Possibly the colour of the car influences how visible this characteristic is.

Let me know where this is so I can see if its on mine as well.

Drivers side about 10cm down from the top just around where bonnet meets the wing. On mine if I lift the bonnet there is what appears to be a spot weld around the area where the characteristic appears.

Attached are a couple of pictures, the defect is very subtle (but for me is visible under Morning and Evening light, less so during the day).

Attachments

• IMG_2321.jpg
    IMG_2321.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2313.jpg
    IMG_2313.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 88
I can't see anything for the finger on the way:dk:

Unfortunately the characteristic does not show up in a picture :fail (at least not using my camera phone). However is an indication of the location of the characteristic.

Unfortunately the characteristic does not show up in a picture :fail (at least not using my camera phone). However is an indication of the location of the characteristic.

I would suspect that the Bonnet is manufactured using a Die the shape of the Bonnet and the Material (Steel or Aluminium) is sucked into the Die! The Bonnet Framework then added later in the process!

If the Die has a defect in the same place, I would suggest that Quality Control would have spotted it and the defect either rectified OR the defective Bonnets sorted out before leaving the Factory. (Body Filler & Paint)

There may be more than one Bonnet Manufacturer OR more than one Die, if the Dealership are stating that it's a "Characteristic" then they know it's a defect on some released Bonnets, therefore they SHOULD offer some sort of Fix or Compensation to your satisfaction!:doh:

There is a VERY small blemish/feature on the bonnet of our S205 in the location you've pointed out. As you mention it is not easy to see or photograph. I took some pictures yesterday using a decent camera and a macro lens and will upload a couple of pictures when I'm next at the computer.

FWIW, the blemish I'm seeing is well within what would be acceptable production tolerances and may well be due to the die or one of the clamps used when attaching the under frame. Yours may of course be more 'severe' if that's the right word.

If these cars were built (and priced) like a Rolls Royce, then the paint inspection on each individual car is very rigourous. I'd not expect to be able find such a blemish. As it is, the C-Class cars are mass produced and minor defects like this are inevitable.

Again FWIW, I'm not going to get stressed over this minor imperfection, won't be discussing it with my dealer and wouldn't have found it in the first place without your "help". Thanks for that BTW :)

In the words of Bobby McFerrin, "Don't worry, be happy." :)

Blimey has that paint got the optional MB "leathered" finish.

It's more a feature of out of focus artefacts due to using a macro lens and resulting shallow depth of field. The only way to show the blemish. The finish looks much better in real-life.

Out of curiosity, I've just had a look at the same location but on the other side of the bonnet. There's a tiny mark there too. Again too small to have noticed without really looking for it. So I think these are from the clamping system used when the under frame is attached. The paint prep folks (if there are any) probably felt they'd cleaned them up perfectly and they very nearly did.

Car is on its way to the scrappy as we speak!

Thanks for looking, I have seen a few with the same issue now and the severity does appear to vary for car to car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom