W205 Dash Vibration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jay2512

Car
X253 - GLC 250d AMG Line Premium Plus
Guys,

A few weeks after owning my C Class Estate i started to notice a vibration in the dashboard at low rpm, when the engine was under load but especially in cold conditions.

I actually suspected the plastic trim on the outside of the vehicle as no matter where i held the interior i could not get the noise to go away.

The car had been back to the dealer who could not quite locate the noise, suspect the A pillar plus the plastic scuttle under the wiper blades. Anyway I took a video the day after the dealer had the car to well prove the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4qD6-dTu7M

The day after this i left home early for a meeting in London and when getting in the car the outside temp was around 1.5C From the start the noise was there and lasted pretty much all the way to London. I stopped to pick a work friend up and when stood outside the car with the engine running i could hear the vibration noise.

That evening i had a poke around and found a few areas that looked likely to cause the noise.

1. The (i think thats what it is) vacuum pipe from the brake servo vibrating on the plastic trim and metal body of the servo.
2. The vacuum pipe passes through part of the car and where it does another rubber block has been placed that contacts the bodywork when vibrated.
3. Plastic trim covering the strut brace makes contact with the strut brace when vibrated.

So i placed sticky back foam tape in all of these areas plus on a few underside of the plastic trim for good measure and ive never heard the vibration since.

Fingers crossed ive solved the problem :bannana:

Last edited:
Hopefully that's the problem solved indeed.
That noise would drive me mad lol.

Housty said:
Hopefully that's the problem solved indeed. That noise would drive me mad lol.

So far so good. My W204 had a squeak from new also..... That ended up being the strut brace rubbing the paint work!

rattle from the rear

i have a 2015 c220cdi estate amg

from new i have had a rattle from the rear (behind the driver) it does sound like the passenger door is not closed properly. (it is)
it is OK on the motorways, just when driving round towns etc.
its only when the body flex`s
its sooo annoying, anyone got any ideas on what i can check?
do they have a rear strut brace? i have emptied the boot even taken the little plastic fold away box they come with
help please! :doh:

Have you tried silicone lubricant on the door rubber seals, when car subject to flexing movement the rigid door sits in an opening that distorts slightly, the rubber seals accommodate this easily but if they are 'gripping' the bodywork little noises will occur. Spray with a 'back to black' type of dressing as contains silicone

Alternatively remove your daughters collection of sunglasses from the door pocket as I did!

Bcz93 said:
i have a 2015 c220cdi estate amg from new i have had a rattle from the rear (behind the driver) it does sound like the passenger door is not closed properly. (it is) it is OK on the motorways, just when driving round towns etc. its only when the body flex`s its sooo annoying, anyone got any ideas on what i can check? do they have a rear strut brace? i have emptied the boot even taken the little plastic fold away box they come with help please! :doh:

I too had this and found that if I put the rear seats down there was no noise. Try that and see what happens. If the noise goes away then I believe this is the seat catches rattling on the securing hook. Unfortunately this is transmitted through the rear of the car.

In the end I took a bit of cloth and folded it over the seat latch and shut the seat back on it. No more noise.........

As said I think there is a small bit of play in the locking catch in the seat which a metal on metal contact makes a right racket, bit like a loud creaking when going over bumpy roads, round corners or when the body of the car flex.

I too had this and found that if I put the rear seats down there was no noise. Try that and see what happens. If the noise goes away then I believe this is the seat catches rattling on the securing hook. Unfortunately this is transmitted through the rear of the car.

In the end I took a bit of cloth and folded it over the seat latch and shut the seat back on it. No more noise.........

As said I think there is a small bit of play in the locking catch in the seat which a metal on metal contact makes a right racket, bit like a loud creaking when going over bumpy roads, round corners or when the body of the car flex.

am glad i am not the only one that has these problems,
i will try what you have said later today and fingers crossed it work,
as it only makes the noises on the back roads / speed bumps etc

thanks again for the advice :thumb:

Jay,
Thanks for the advice, i put some thin foam package rap around the latch holder and slammed the back seat shut..... 20 mile drive home that night and no noise at all.
a simple fix, Thanks

Bcz93 said:
Jay, Thanks for the advice, i put some thin foam package rap around the latch holder and slammed the back seat shut..... 20 mile drive home that night and no noise at all. a simple fix, Thanks

Glad it worked! Shame that the car makes this kind of noise tho

1. The (i think thats what it is) vacuum pipe from the brake servo vibrating on the plastic trim and metal body of the servo.
2. The vacuum pipe passes through part of the car and where it does another rubber block has been placed that contacts the bodywork when vibrated.
3. Plastic trim covering the strut brace makes contact with the strut brace when vibrated.

So i placed sticky back foam tape in all of these areas plus on a few underside of the plastic trim for good measure and ive never heard the vibration since.

Jay2512

I have the same noise !

Have you heard the noise again since you fixed it ?

Can you show me a photo of the foam tape in the engine, the way you put it ?

Many thanks

Macoskivi

I've done it today and.........no more noise !!!
Hope it's definitevly fixed.
Thank you so much !

It still amazes me that these cars are supposedly subjected to vigorous tests at extreme temperatures and vibrated to within an inch of their life yet many, if not most, suffer from rattles caused by poorly fitted parts.

pictures????

Sent from my iPhone

After 2 days I had an annoying rattle, turned out to be the drivers side grab handle above the door so was a relatively easy fix

It amazes me at how much these cars cost, and we have to take to DIY measures to fix such things, like every Nandos restaraunt in the UK seems to have a wobbly table and you end up folding napkins beneath. Shouldn't have to do this in an expensive car IMO

Mmmmmm. Nando's.

Made me hungry now.

Happytalk73 said:
Mmmmmm. Nando's. Made me hungry now.

I've eaten at Nandos everyday over the holidays apart from Xmas day :eek:

Today I am eating every bit of chocolate in sight, Ferrari roches, Munchies, Lindt chocolates... If they're not there tomorrow then the diet will go smoothly haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom