W205 - Direct Steer just feels strange

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StefLA

Car
C-class 250d Estate 4-matic
Hi

New to this forum and writing from Switzerland. I just purchased a 2016 c-class 250d estate 4-matic with the amg-line package and 19 inch wheels. It's my first Mercedes and, generally speaking, I love it. It looks classy and sporty, is ultra comfortable, and I love all the tech and gadgets. The one thing I am struggling to get to grips with is the steering feel, particularly in Sport mode. Up to about 60 mph it feels perfectly natural, but above that speed, it weighs up significantly and quite suddenly when you take a turn and feels very unnatural and inconsistent. I'm assuming this is related to the Direct Steer, which I believe is part of the amg line package.

Are there any other c-class amg line drivers on the forum who can reassure me that this is normal and that I'll eventually get used to it? :confused:

Hi

New to this forum and writing from Switzerland. I just purchased a 2016 c-class 250d estate 4-matic with the amg-line package and 19 inch wheels. It's my first Mercedes and, generally speaking, I love it. It looks classy and sporty, is ultra comfortable, and I love all the tech and gadgets. The one thing I am struggling to get to grips with is the steering feel, particularly in Sport mode. Up to about 60 mph it feels perfectly natural, but above that speed, it weighs up significantly and quite suddenly when you take a turn and feels very unnatural and inconsistent. I'm assuming this is related to the Direct Steer, which I believe is part of the amg line package.

Are there any other c-class amg line drivers on the forum who can reassure me that this is normal and that I'll eventually get used to it? :confused:

The operating principle of Mercedes direct steer is illustrated here.
VGRS_Honda_VGR.jpg

Basically the rack ratio changes depending on degree of steering lock . Giving a faster response but presumably loading up more. Superimposed on this presumably will be variable electrical assistance possibly depending on a vehicle speed input also. It sounds as if something isn't working correctly and since this is a new car I would suggest taking it back to the dealer you bought it from to get checked out?

Personally the steering on my S205 is my most favourite thing about the car.

I do agree though that the steering assistance isn't very granular and weighting feel switches very abruptly.

For example at less than 5mph it's super light then as soon as you go over 5mph you can feel a sudden weighting up rather than an increase in weighting in an analogue fashion like my BMW does.

So many weird things in MBs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom