W205 now coming up to a year old - delighted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinjs

Car
2021 C300 AMG Line Night Edition Prem +
Haven't posted on here for a while - purchased my W205 C220d in October last year and I have been completely delighted with it.

May be tempting fate here, but not a single fault, rattle or concern from day one.

My previous two C's were W204's one approved used and then a new one (just prior to the introduction of the 205). Didn't have anything other than scheduled maintenance with those either.

Current one has P+ pack, privacy glass, 19' wheels and hyacinth red metallic paint - looks stunning when it is polished. Its comfortable, fun to drive, economical and has all sorts of practical features. Sound system is outstanding.

The only minor criticism is the none availability of the more traditional MB rad grille and 3 pointed star, its available in Germany and I think it looks stunning, much better than the UK option, but it isn't really practicable to retrofit.

Had an opportunity to visit the Stuttgart Museum and production plant at Boblingen a few weeks back, certainly reinforces your faith in the brand! - incredible.

People tend to post when they have problems, but this is one happy MB owner, and despite coming from Yorkshire where money is properly valued, I can honestly say that all my C's have been good value for money.

That's great to hear Martin. Good on you for posting a positive experience.

Wishing you many more miles for the future.

Driven a few new c's and wasn't that keen until I borrowed one recently in a similar spec to yours.

Loved it.

Hopefully we will need a four door within the year and the C will be a strong contender.

Martin. Good to hear that you are delighted. Like you I took delivery of my W205 C250d last October (just before the press had a go at Diesel engines).
Like you I am delighted but have had one or two problems. A knock from somewhere at the back over bumps, and an intermittent but persistent boot problem where it would only open half way. At the fourth attempt the garage changed the motor - success problem and knock gone.
Excellent car, good quality, good drive, good MB support.
Unlike previous car 2015 Jaguar XE which was a load of trouble. Poor workmanship mostly. But in the first year new battery, steering rack, carpet, ad blue bottle, and respray boot/bumper.
So returned to MB peace of mind and a happy smile. :):)

Martin. Good to hear that you are delighted. Like you I took delivery of my W205 C250d last October (just before the press had a go at Diesel engines).
Like you I am delighted but have had one or two problems. A knock from somewhere at the back over bumps, and an intermittent but persistent boot problem where it would only open half way. At the fourth attempt the garage changed the motor - success problem and knock gone.
Excellent car, good quality, good drive, good MB support.
Unlike previous car 2015 Jaguar XE which was a load of trouble. Poor workmanship mostly. But in the first year new battery, steering rack, carpet, ad blue bottle, and respray boot/bumper.
So returned to MB peace of mind and a happy smile. :):)
Glad you got sorted. I looked at a Jaguar XE when I was replacing my C220 back in March. The Jaguar dealer was atrocious (HA Fox in Guildford). The XE felt flimsy (the seat adjuster handle on the demo car snapped when I tried to raise the seat - oops!) and did not have that Jaguar feeling. I've owned a 4.2 litre Daimler Sovereign (i.e., an XJ6 in a party frock) and an S Type in the past and both cars felt special when you climbed aboard. I bought another C Class (a C200) the very next day.

Sounds like you must be local to Guildford. We have a daughter there so visit frequently.
The Jaguar XE does offer a good drive but the quality was dreadful. My list of woes was far longer than in my previous note and I got fed up with bi-weekly visits to the Dealer. The 2015 model does seem to have been particularly bad but I was certainly not alone with Xe problems. Seems some Jaguar owners will take whatever hits them because it's a Jaguar. Me, I just want reliability.
I'm no stranger to MB. A couple C's in the past, SLK, and an E Class cabriolet. The C Class does the job now and I'm very pleased with it.

Sounds like you must be local to Guildford. We have a daughter there so visit frequently.
The Jaguar XE does offer a good drive but the quality was dreadful. My list of woes was far longer than in my previous note and I got fed up with bi-weekly visits to the Dealer. The 2015 model does seem to have been particularly bad but I was certainly not alone with Xe problems. Seems some Jaguar owners will take whatever hits them because it's a Jaguar. Me, I just want reliability.
I'm no stranger to MB. A couple C's in the past, SLK, and an E Class cabriolet. The C Class does the job now and I'm very pleased with it.

I had an XF 3.0 from new in 2011 - endless problems and totally incompetent service / warranty. I initially thought I was being too critical as I had it after a Lexus 450h but the problems just increased - I took a tremendous hit as I sold it after only 14 months but I was so happy to get out of it and into a E350 Coupe. I am on my 5th MB and never had any problems and the build has been exceptional. I have had my C350e for 2 trouble free years and awaiting my E350e !

Same here. Almost exact same spec except mine is blue and didn't go for larger wheels as I do high mileage. No problems at all and averaging 51mpg so been really pleased.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My last car was a brand spanking new Jaguar XF-R sport. It was beautiful with a red leather interior and all the toys. it arrived on Christmas Eve last year.... and by the end of February it was back at the dealers never to be seen again. The emergency SOS alarm kept going off as I was driving along. After a while one becomes tired of fire engines and ambulances chasing you to cut you from the wreckage of your XFR.

The dealer was utterly hopeless (Guy Salmon of Stockport). At one point they called me to say they had good news and bad news. The good news was that they'd fixed the fault - they hadn't, because it faulted again as soon as they drove it out of the shop. The bad news ? Errrr we've lost your keys, could we borrow a spare please ? Such an incompetent bunch I have never met before or since.

They loaned me a V6 Discovery with only 200 miles on the clock while they had my XFR.... the footwells filled with rain water after the first shower.... and trust me it rains more than a little in Manchester. I became able to judge my cornering speed by listening to how much water was sloshing from one well to the other. I kid you not, good job I didn't get seasick.

So as a staunch patriot I can safely say that my dalliance with British cars is at an end. I'm sad to say that my 5 Series BMW and my E220d have wiped the floor with anything Jaguar make and I wish it had been otherwise.
Oh, and you can keep the FPace too. All the jags look fabulous but you get the same crap control systems and voice command system made by Toys R Us in them. Computer says no.

Haven't posted on here for a while - purchased my W205 C220d in October last year and I have been completely delighted with it.

May be tempting fate here, but not a single fault, rattle or concern from day one.

My previous two C's were W204's one approved used and then a new one (just prior to the introduction of the 205). Didn't have anything other than scheduled maintenance with those either.

Current one has P+ pack, privacy glass, 19' wheels and hyacinth red metallic paint - looks stunning when it is polished. Its comfortable, fun to drive, economical and has all sorts of practical features. Sound system is outstanding.

The only minor criticism is the none availability of the more traditional MB rad grille and 3 pointed star, its available in Germany and I think it looks stunning, much better than the UK option, but it isn't really practicable to retrofit.

Had an opportunity to visit the Stuttgart Museum and production plant at Boblingen a few weeks back, certainly reinforces your faith in the brand! - incredible.

People tend to post when they have problems, but this is one happy MB owner, and despite coming from Yorkshire where money is properly valued, I can honestly say that all my C's have been good value for money.
Good to hear of a positive ownership experience the 205 seems a well built robust car.

My S205 C220d AMG Line premier plus has also been excellent, new in July2015 has airmatic, Briliant Blue with privacy glass, now covered 9000 faultless miles. Good to know about yours

Been pleased with my S205 too but a quick question, if I may?

The driver side door mirror, I've noticed, doesn't seem to retract quite as flush as the passenger side? I think it's always been the same it's just that I happened to look down at it parked on our drive, from the bedroom window. It works perfectly well, so it this just by design?

Phil

Mine is now 18 months old, I have had it for about 10 months. Very pleased with it, no problems at all, until today
when the headlights came on as I was leaving home, in bright sunlight. Tried to switch them off and realised there is no off position, anyway turned the switch to park, and then back to auto, and off they went.

I'm not sure where the sensor is located, but could a leaf have temporarily blown over and covered it? Just a thought.

I'm not sure where the sensor is located, but could a leaf have temporarily blown over and covered it? Just a thought.

Good theory, but I think the sensor may be inside, someone told me it's part of the rear view mirror. Just seems a bit silly not to have an Off position on the switch.

It is in the rear view mirror, but stuck to the windscreen, same as the windscreen wiper sensor.

It does seem strange there is no off position though. If you are sat waiting for someone and you didn't want your lights on it would be nice to be able to turn them off. I wonder if it is only diesels that don't have an off switch? The noise they make when sat idling is not nice, maybe they do it to force you to turn your engine off? ;)

It is in the rear view mirror, but stuck to the windscreen, same as the windscreen wiper sensor.

It does seem strange there is no off position though. If you are sat waiting for someone and you didn't want your lights on it would be nice to be able to turn them off. I wonder if it is only diesels that don't have an off switch? The noise they make when sat idling is not nice, maybe they do it to force you to turn your engine off? ;)
Nope, no off position on Petrol, Can't ever see the Police using them, could hardly approach criminals unseen!

Had my 250d prem plus for 16 months now and gotta say it is the most comfortable and economical MB i have ever owned having driven to Spain twice for holidays and apart from having front discs and pads twice [under warranty but no issue having it done] tha car is a real looker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom