W207 E220 CDi - getting up to temperature

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dinnie

Hi my 2012 blue efficiency model with the 7 sp auto takes at least 6 miles (mostly B roads at 40mph, no traffic) in our current UK climate to get up to temperature, which is 90 degrees as indicated on the water/coolant temperature gauge on the dashboard.
Should it take this long and is 90 the correct temperature?
Thanks!

Hi Dinnie
I have an E350 and it also takes 5 to 6 miles to get up to 90 in the winter 4 to 5 miles in summer. And yes 90 is the correct running temperature.

Hi my 2012 blue efficiency model with the 7 sp auto takes at least 6 miles (mostly B roads at 40mph, no traffic) in our current UK climate to get up to temperature, which is 90 degrees as indicated on the water/coolant temperature gauge on the dashboard.
Should it take this long and is 90 the correct temperature?
Thanks!

Yeah and that is pretty quick.

My old E320cdi used to take around 9-12 miles.

Seems normal to me.

Diesels do take a long time to warm up which is why petrol engines are better for short journeys.

Thanks all.
Yes I do about 15 miles each way but it is only the second half of the journey where the real economy of these cars show their true worth. So first half is somethings like 30mpg, second half around 45mpg and therefore as a total, around 38mpg.

Mine is taking 20-25 minutes currently and around 8 miles on city routes and A roads.

Yeah my diesels take around 10-15 minutes to get to temp in the summer and twice as long in the winter.

On the 12 miles into Norwich on a morning in winter I often found the petrol version gave better MPG figures. Not much, only 1-2 mpg, but always shocked me.

335i vs 535d, 3.2 vs 3.0tdi A6, E320 V6 vs E350cdi, all the petrols performed better on that commute in winter. In summer they were about even. I also used to notice that on my 45 mile trek over to my shop up on the North Norfolk coast it wasn't until approx. mile 25 when the diesels started to better the petrols. The petrol would have hit its average MPG figure by then, where as the diesel would still climb for another 10 or so miles, by the time I got there the diesel would be approx. 20% better.

And going down to London, or up to Scotland it was always around 20% difference too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom